ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert PageMotion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 1:11:39 pm

Hi there.

I'm currently using After Effects CS5 to motion track a still image over a panning (not crabbing) shot of a laptop screen to make it look like it's playing on the laptop. Unfortunately, what sounds like a simple task doesn't seem so.

Just under half of the laptop comes into view from off-screen (right to left) for the first 28 frames or so. I have used perspective corner pinning when the laptop is in the frame but when the laptop's outside of it, it goes crazy. I have tried doing it manually but with no reference I can't stop the image from stretching and being erratic.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do to solve this problem? Am I missing something simple?

Here's a link to the source clip: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/laptop-shot

Thanks for any help that can be provided. Very stuck!

Would anybody like a peanut?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 1:21:14 pm

Planar tracking in Mocha should eat this for breakfast.

You should track in reverse.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:12:50 pm

Yes, +1 to that, track in reverse and use Mocha.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:05:42 pm

There are better tutorials at the Imagineer Systems site.

This tutorial shows a redundant way in which to insert a layer into the surface area.

There are two good ways to this -
1) use the Align Surfaces feature in Mocha when exporting from Mocha and when preparing the insert layer/comp in AE
2) ensure that the insert layer fits the dimensions of the tracked layer in Mocha. With this method, you can export from Mocha without the Align Surfaces method.

The Align Surfaces method is ideal when the area to be inserted has a perspective distortion and you need to be precise in where the elements that make up the insert image is placed within the insert area.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Robert PageRe: Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:15:13 pm

Thank you very much for this link. I learned a heck of a lot just about what Mocha can actually do very quickly. :)

Return to posts index

Robert PageRe: Motion Tracking Perspective of Something that Comes in Off-screen
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:18:41 pm

Thank you very much! Worked like a charm. That was my first piece of TV commercial work! Really appreciate it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]