ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

making goPro footage more 'filmic'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
making goPro footage more 'filmic'
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:00:35 pm

ok
Its 720P, and has what might be called the typical 'video look'. Any suggestions on how I might improve it to appear more 'film-like'?

Trying to match some 1920X1080p DSLR footage.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: making goPro footage more 'filmic'
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:16:27 pm

There are so many things that go into making something look "filmic"...
Try to match the colors first. You should try the color comparison tools in Synthetic Aperture's Color Finesse (comes with AE). It'll help you get them to look similar.
Unfortunately, you'll never get the same look of depth of field you get on a nice DSLR lens with a little camera like goPro.
There are tons of other tutorials out there for making video look like film. You should try them too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:26:03 pm

Michael's right about the lens.
Nothing says "movies" quite like controlling the viewers' point of interest through the use of depth of field.

I too would look google some film-look recipes.

If both cameras happened to shoot at 59.94p, it's a snap to convert their frame rates to film's 23.976 just by putting it in a 23.976 comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Christie
on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:18:07 am

One of the issues with a camera like the gopro that makes them look very video-ish is the fact that they use shutter speed to control exposure and therefore end up shooting at a fast shutter speed in daylight- as many handycams do.

There are some options for faking motion blur in AE but such as motion trail but I'm not sure the results will be all that satisfactory. When you are shooting, try sliding a little bit of ND gel in front of the lens to force the shutter speed down (pick up a lee or Rosco swatch book for nothing and use the swatches).

The goPro also suffers from fairly severe rolling shutter artifacts, so try processing it through the Foundry's 'Rolling Shutter' or similar. Aside from that, some creative colour grading will help, but you are very much at the mercy of the H.264 compression that these cameras use. Sometimes they compress and expose very welll, sometimes they do not.

Daniel

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:22:21 am

[Daniel Christie] "One of the issues with a camera like the gopro that makes them look very video-ish is the fact that they use shutter speed to control exposure and therefore end up shooting at a fast shutter speed in daylight- as many handycams do."

Great point!

[Daniel Christie] "There are some options for faking motion blur in AE but such as motion trail but I'm not sure the results will be all that satisfactory."

Depending on your footage, this can be somewhat convincingly done with motion estimation. I like ReelSmart Motion Blur from RE:Vision Effects, but you can achieve similar results with AE's native Timewarp effect [link]:
You can use the Timewarp effect to add motion blur within a video layer without changing the layer’s speed. Apply the Timewarp effect, set Speed to 100, enable motion blur within the effect, and use the manual shutter control features to adjust the motion blur.

It'll get globby over cuts, so make sure to split clips at cuts as necessary.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]