ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's the best way for a cartoon effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor NguyenWhat's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:39:52 pm

I'm looking for an effect that would produce vector art video from live footage. I know after effect already have a cartoon plug in. However I also heard of other way to achieve this effect, such as Aharon Rabinowitz tutorial on this website using after effect and illustrator. I'm just wondering what's the best way with more diversity and versatility

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:00:28 pm

Red Giant Toonit.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/toonit/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:26:46 pm

woah that cost a lot, I bought the production premium for students with the same price. I really don't like to buy just a plug in that cost that much. Are there any other alternative way?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:25:36 pm

If you do a search for Waking Life or perhaps a search for Charles Schwab commercials, you'll probably find some other solutions. Waking Life is an amazing film that used a proprietary rotoscoping technology along with hand animation to create a bizarre cartoon world from live footage. Anyway, it and the Charles Schwab commercials both sparked a lot of discussion on the forums.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Noelle VacceseRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 5:15:39 am

how long is the footage that you are trying to create this effect for? if it's pretty short, it would be cool to go with Michael's suggestion of rotoscoping like The Waking Life.

are you familiar with flash and using a wacom tablet? you could import you footage into flash and trace over it on another layer to create some interesting effects.

unfortunately i don't think there is an easy plugin to make this effect - without spending a lot of money that is.

joy + noelle
twins are weird

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 5:19:15 am

Yes the effect I'm looking for is more of Charles Schwab style. I saw this on tv

and I really want to learn how to do this effect

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What's the best way for a cartoon effect?
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:23:20 am

You asked for two different things:

- cartoon
- vector

One does not necessarily imply the other.

If you want to do things the simplest way, you could use the Cartoon effect built into After Effects. This doesn't produce vector artwork.

Or you can use something like Illustrator's Live Trace feature to make vectors, as described here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]