ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering Settings Lied!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PearceAfter Effects Rendering Settings Lied!
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:12:18 pm

I am sorry to come right out of the gate with my first post being a question, but I am a little frustrated and have searched but can't find the particular answer I am looking for.

Anyway, I made a project in after effects. Nothing too fancy or video related, but it was from scratch and is a type of slideshow of images, with a little twist on it. But anyway, I finished it last week, and then my real frustration began to set in when I started rendering. At first I played with it a lot and tried to get it to render quickly because I had a deadline. Once I realized there was no way in hell that it was going to render before my deadline, I accepted my fate and chose high quality settings so at least it would look good when it was done.

Here's some of the settings I chose: MPEG2-DVD, RGB Millions of Colors, and the size as 1280x720. I also selected the default audio output.

Now on some of the previous rendering samples I had done, the audio worked just fine, but the video looked like crap, but at least the music was there.

So here is my problem. After about six days of waiting, it finally finished rendering today. But the only problem is that the settings that it was rendering under aren't what I received in my final file. Instead of 1280x720 it gave me something like 720x480 I believe, and the audio rendered but it saved as a completely separate file, and without any of my ques or fade ins. And lastly, it was a nine minute and some odd second video file in after effects, and under the render queue it says that it rendered that much video. But the .wav file I have is only 6:54, it still fades out and has the same ending as the full video in AE, but is simply lacking about two or so minutes of video.

Anyway, I know that is a lot, and I fear there is nothing I can do and that's just the way it is, but if you have any ideas or thoughts I would much appreciate it. And again, sorry to have my first post be this, but I really just need some help!

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: After Effects Rendering Settings Lied!
by on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:48:32 am

First off, mpeg DVD is a SD DVD format, hence the 720x480. You are likely mistaking it for the mpeg bluRay DVD format which it is not.

When testing you should render out only a few seconds or so using different settings to compare quality. When you find something satisfactory, then render out the entire project.

Are you burning this to a BluRay disk? I am sure you can find posts here for appropriate settings to make a HD DVD.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: After Effects Rendering Settings Lied!
by on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:23:18 am

When doing any kind of fancy compression (such as for a DVD or BluRay) the general rule of thumb is to render out a high-quality video first, and then do your compression (in Apple Compressor, Sorenson Squeeze, Apple Media Encoder, etc); while AE can be used for compression, in most cases it won't produce results as good as an app dedicated to compression will.

Another reason for rendering out a high-quality out of AE is because of what you experienced: the compression didn't meet your expectations. This means you have to re-encode; however, now you also have to re-render, and you lose a lot of time.

As a footnote, professional DVD authoring programs keep the video and audio separate, so it did the right thing....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved