ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

masking psunami

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aslan Tamek
masking psunami
on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:11:26 am

hi,
i have made some waves with Psunami to composite on a scene, i need to mask out some parts of the ocean, but it seems that Psunami cant acccpt masks! is there a way to do this or am i doing something wrong?
thanks

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Shahin Ghahremani
Re: masking psunami
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:01:32 pm

I never tried this plug-in, but I just checked the RED web site and watched the tutorial, it seems like you cannot simply make the mask on top of the layer that included the Psunami effect, as this plug-in is processing some data through your GPU so it is somehow a realtime processing. what you may do is, make it as a pre-compose and try to assign the mask over the pre-composed layer, or else you might need to render it out and import the rendered footage to your scene and make your masking over it!
Hope this can help.

Shahin

--------------------------------------------------------
Please visit my YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Animationstudies

Return to posts index

Aslan Tamek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:05:40 pm

awsome! merc shahin jan;)

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Shahin Ghahremani
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:25:18 pm

Shoma irani hastid? kheili az molaghatetoon khoshbakhtam, agar emkan dare linki az animation hatoon bedid, moshtaaghe didaneshoon hastam.
Which field of Animation are you working in? I'm doing Character Animation by the way.
khosh hal misham dar tamas bashim.

Shahin

Return to posts index

Aslan Tamek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:50:48 pm

SHAHIN JAN HERE IS MY YAHOO ID : ASLAN_THR

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:18:28 pm

[Shahin Ghahremani] "it seems like you cannot simply make the mask on top of the layer that included the Psunami effect, as this plug-in is processing some data through your GPU so it is somehow a realtime processing. what you may do is, make it as a pre-compose and try to assign the mask over the pre-composed layer, or else you might need to render it out and import the rendered footage to your scene and make your masking over it!"

Your solution is correct (pre-compose), but the reason pre-composing is necessary has to do with After Effect's render order [link]: masks, effects, transformations, and layer styles. (The acronym METL might be easier to remember).

Masks are applied BEFORE effects are rendered, and many generative effects (ones that don't rely on the content of their source layer) don't mask themselves.

When you precompose, the precomped layer is rendered and rasterized in the main layer as if it were a piece of footage, then METL applies again. In other words, since the Psunami effect is within the precomp, not within the main comp, a mask in the main comp will work on the precomp's rendered output.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Shahin Ghahremani
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:32:48 pm

Thank you Walter for your great information, I didn't know the matter that technical, I was actually trying to solve the problem practically, so thanks anyway for correcting me!

Regards.

Shahin

Return to posts index

Aslan Tamek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:47:49 pm

Thank you Walter, I didn't know that, that was amazing, sounds like engineering stuff!

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Aslan Tamek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:08:36 pm

shahin here is my yahoo id : aslan_thr

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:06:22 pm

I see that how to do the masking has been described to you already. However, you may not even need to do the masking (depending on why you're doing it). This PDF has some useful tips for compositing with Psunami: http://www.digitalanarchy.com/tutes/psunami-composite.pdf

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Aslan Tamek
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:09:33 pm

thank you Michael, i downloaded the pdf, in this special occasion I need to mask, but the method described in the pdf would help a lot doing some parts

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]