ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

export an image sequence into PSD files with all the layers intact

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Wallis
export an image sequence into PSD files with all the layers intact
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:52:42 am

I'm working with poor quality video and have found it helpful to use image sequences and Photoshop to edit. Now I'd like to go the other way and export an image sequence from After Effects with all the layers intact to do further editing back in Photoshop. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: export an image sequence into PSD files with all the layers intact
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:05:49 pm

Kent,

(I'm not in front of my CS4 box at the moment.)

I also sometimes use Photoshop when I have difficult video. You can render (and also export) an image sequence from AE. PSD is one of the choices, but I'm not sure if it there is a choice to export a merged layer or all layers.

You could also render each layer separately as PSD or TIF sequence from AE, then import each into PS. A bit clumsy, but it should work.

PS does not have some things that are available in AE - ie adjustment layers. Not sure how those would appear once you got to AE.

Jim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:30:55 pm

[Kent Wallis] "Now I'd like to go the other way and export an image sequence from After Effects with all the layers intact to do further editing back in Photoshop."

This cannot be done (directly). I think the render queue is unaware of the layering in the composite, and the current layered PSD save feature works on only a single frame at a time. Jim's suggestion of rendering layers separately and re-creating the composite in PS is probably best.

You might consider filing a feature request [link] for layered PSD sequences.

What is it exactly that you want to do to the image in Photoshop? Maybe if you describe what you're looking to accomplish, one of us can suggest a way to do it in AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kent Wallis
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:33:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback I'll try working with the layers separately although as you say...thats a clumsy way to accomplish the goal. I've been looking in other places like AE ENHANCEER but no luck so far.

[Walter Soyka] "What is it exactly that you want to do to the image in Photoshop? Maybe if you describe what you're looking to accomplish, one of us can suggest a way to do it in AE."

Its a bit embarrassing. I'm just a hobbyist playing around with vacation vids and stuff from the net. I don't know if you've seen the ipod trick where you take a still picture of someones face and the software makes it bald or fat or old?

I just want to do stuff like that with video. The nephew's nickname is monkey boy (don't ask) so I wanted to paste his face on a jumping monkey body. I tried Mocha/AE and it sort of works but he moves around so much masking is a pain. Another "project" would be substituting a body builder body when the old man is pretending to flash the camera. So yah...stupid stuff:)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08:18 am

The trick is to stabilize the original face, insert the replacement face (also stabilized if necessary), then reverse the initial stabilization.

See the Demon Face Warp [link] tutorial.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]