ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoking gun barrel?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim ShundlerSmoking gun barrel?
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:27:07 am

I have a video clip in which a gun is pointed more-or-less in the direction of the camera, at a relatively close distance (it is fairly large in the frame). The gun moves a bit from side to side and up and down, as the man holding it moves his arm slightly.

I'm trying to animate some smoke pouring out of the barrel. Having very little experience with particles other than some dust, I have very little of an idea of how to do this.

How would the experts here tackle this?

Return to posts index

john youngerRe: Smoking gun barrel?
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:26:02 am

Easiest thing to do is find some pre alpha rendered smoke and use that.Video Copilot has some really good ones. If not you can build smoke with particular or CC particle world.(I think) If the smoke takes some time to come out you can track the gun tip in mocha for AE. Hope this helps
John Younger

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Smoking gun barrel?
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:04:33 pm

How real does this need to look?

I recommend you do a little pre-visualization of how smoke behaves. Grab a cigarette and move it around. Light a match, blow it out and move it around. Notice how the rising smoke generally stays put, and the moving smoke source leaves a trail behind with little eddies and whisps in it.

If you want it to look REAL, the process of adding smoke gets a little tricky. You can see that for yourself.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved