ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2.39:1 to 16:9 letterbox

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joan Llabata
2.39:1 to 16:9 letterbox
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:54:35 pm

Hi forum,

I've made a short film in HD 1080p with 2.39:1 aspect ratio. Now the short is gonna be distributed and the distributor asked for a HD 1080p 16:9 letterbox aspect ratio version.

My project it's been made from the beginning in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, all the comps has this ratio and 1920x803 resolution.

How can I export a 16:9 letterbox version?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 2.39:1 to 16:9 letterbox
on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:10:30 pm

Drag the clip onto the make comp icon at the bottom of the project panel. Then go into the resulting comp's settings and change the vertical resolution to 1080. If you see black at the tip & bottom, you're ready to render in the codec of your choice..

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joan Llabata
on Aug 24, 2011 at 8:20:42 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot, I already considered that option, but one requirement of the distributor makes me doubt. Here the text from the distributor:

All versions must be without black bars. If the original aspect ratio is 1.85:1 the conversion will be a 16:9 letterbox.

My aspect ratio is 2.39:1, so I assume I have to to the same, convert to 16:9 letterbox. That's compatible with the procedure you just proposed? There is another way to do it?

Black bars and letterbox are related, true? I'm a little confused.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:44:23 pm

[Joan Llabata] "Here the text from the distributor:

'All versions must be without black bars. If the original aspect ratio is 1.85:1 the conversion will be a 16:9 letterbox.' "

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Request a clarification. They say the files must be without black bars. However, the process of letterboxing ADDS black bars! How can you add black bars without adding them?

Are you required to send a file in the actual screen aspect ratio of your project, with NO black bars?
Are you required to send a 16x9 file which INCLUDES the black bars caused by letterboxing?
I honestly can not tell from those instructions.

And the process I describe works for any off-the-wall aspect ratio as long as the file is 1920 pixels wide.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joan Llabata
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:44:17 pm

Exactly. That's what I thought. I was completely confused. I will ask for a clarification.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]