ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Link layer from inside a comp !

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacques LetessonLink layer from inside a comp !
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:41:27 am

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm new to this forum but it has been a great help many times in the past few years...

I have a main composition with many different compositions inside of it ! The nested compositions are shifted spread all over the timeline. In the main composition I have a video footage (let's call it main video) with a specific timing (that will be, of cours, be modified thanks to my client :-))... Each of the nested compositions contain the main video. I would like to be able to link the main video within the nested compositions to the main video in the main composition. Is that possible ? Because if I need to modify main video, I will have to edit my multiple nested compositions to resynchronize the main video insied of them. Does it make sense ? A little image will probable help :

Thanks in advance for your time and patience regarding my request.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Link layer from inside a comp !
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:43:18 am

I'm not sure I understand the issue- it seems that if you sync once the "main video" in all the comps then all you need to do is replace the footage in the Project window and that would take care of it, unless you need to change the sync on the new video... Then all you need to do is to create a precomp (main video precomp) in the main comp where you have the main video and use that same precomp in the other compositions. If you need to change the sync you can just do it in the main video precomp.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Link layer from inside a comp !
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 3:32:44 pm

I get the feeling this main video of yours is one big, long edited clip. In order to do what you want to do with a minimum of hassle, you should make a comp for each clip. When the changes come, you modify only the affected clip and move the unaffected clips to reflect the change in duration.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved