ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keylight problems with yellow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe StasKeylight problems with yellow
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 6:08:02 am

I'm new to keying out green screen and I've noticed I always get issues with yellow becoming a brown/orange shade as soon as I key out the green screen.

Can anyone explain why this happens and any solutions to fixing the problem? Thanks very much

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Keylight problems with yellow
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:46:56 am

Assuming you're using keylight... Keylight automatically attempts to correct "spill" from the blue or green screen in the background (some of the light tends to show up on your subject, especially along oblique edges). This tends to add some warmth to the keyed image. In Keylight's settings, change the view from "Final Result" to "Intermediate Result" to see the image without the color correction.

The standard workflow as I've seen it is to let Keylight do it's thing, then use color correction tools (curves, color balance, levels, hue/saturation -- whatever works best for you) to balance the final keyed shot to the background plate. Some compositors prefer to use the intermediate result and use other effects to remove the spill.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Keylight problems with yellow
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:19:50 pm

your problem is caused by the way colour is generated. In RGB - yellow is comprised of both Red and Green, so when you tell Keylight to remove the green from your shot, it removes not only the pure green of your greenscreen, but also every other place where green is used to create other colours and shades.

To avoid this you will need to learn about masks, holdout mattes, garbages mattes and rotoscoping. Its very rare to find a single easy plug-in that will pull a perfect key first time.

good luck

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Keylight problems with yellow
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:43:04 pm

One way to deal with it is to use your layer with Keylight as a track matte for another layer of your source footage.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved