ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

switching out a color across an entire project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christy Pessagnoswitching out a color across an entire project
by on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:52:31 pm

i have a motion graphics project that uses only 3 colors. right now they are white, black and orange. i want to make all of the whites turn to a cream color and all of the blacks to turn to a dark grey color.

does anyone know if there's a way to do this across the board, or do i have to go through the project and change each element individually?

thanks for any suggestions/answers in advance!

Editor :: Videographer :: Photographer

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: switching out a color across an entire project
by on Aug 20, 2011 at 7:28:04 pm

It depends on how things are set up. If your 3 colors are coming from 3 colored solids then you can change the color of one solid (in the solid settings -- cmd+shift+Y / ctrl+shift+Y) and make sure that it is affecting ALL instances of the solid (note the checkbox at the bottom of your solid settings).

If you're using another method for the color, like the Fill effect, then you could link them all to three master controllers using expressions.... That would take a little while to set up, but once it's set up you can make lots of changes quickly.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: switching out a color across an entire project
by on Aug 20, 2011 at 10:45:28 pm

Ben's suggestion is the right way to do this from the beginning, but a quick and dirty way to do this after the fact is to use a few instances of the Change To Color effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: switching out a color across an entire project
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 1:03:05 am

I've just written a feature request [link] asking for project-level color swatches. If this sounds like an important feature to you too, I'd ask that you submit a similar feature request, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]