ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Enlarge Objects in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wellens
Enlarge Objects in AE
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:38:57 pm

Quick question:

Is it possible to enlarge certain moving/animated objects within a film?
I'm working on Superman Returns footage, and (if possible) I would like to make the shield on his chest a little bit bigger.

Can this be done?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Enlarge Objects in AE
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:38:01 pm

Depending on the nature of the shot. Basically, you'd need a still version of the image and then motion track it to where it belongs.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:46:18 pm

[David Wellens] "Is it possible to enlarge certain moving/animated objects within a film?
I'm working on Superman Returns footage"

Michael's right about success depending on the nature of the shot.

But if I take your question at face value, and I think a little bit, I'm going to guess that you might be a new AE user. And I have to tell you, I would NEVER attempt to do what you want to do. I don't think you've considered all your project's details, nor the implications of the stunning amount of work you would face.

Tell you what: instead of jumping into the deep end of the pool while wearing lead weights, why don't you begin at the beginning?

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

There's a lot of good stuff in there. Not knowing the AE basics is one surefire way to hose yourself in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Wellens
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:28:42 am

No offence Dave, but I learn as I go.
I don't watch tutorials or read guides to features I don't need (yet).
I wanted to brighten the footage, so I learned to play with levels, sat/hue, and vibrance, when I needed it.
I needed to create a new intro, so I learned that too, when I needed it.
Now enlarging the shield isn't a necessity, but it can help.
Hence my question, and my motivation. I'm not someone who plunges into the unknown, because that's a one-way ticket to failure, and abandoning the project, which I don't intend.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:49:54 pm

Okay then Mr. Learn-As-You-Go, here are a few basic tips:

If you're animating the emblem on moving footage, you'll need to know about altering distance, rotation and perspective in 3D layers, animating changes in the emblem's shape using Freeform and grayscale maps, rotoscoping to remove the bits of the emblem that are obscured by foreground objects.

To match the look of the emblem over various lighting conditions, a working knowledge of Color Finesse, faking shadows by animating masks and adding grain will also most likely be necessary.

Knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Wellens
on Aug 22, 2011 at 6:46:57 pm

Hey Dave.

I can very much understand the amount of stupid questions you must come across on a daily basis, but I only wanted to know what it took, to see what I was up against.
I'm going to disregard the slight tone of sarcasm buried in your reply, and thank you for pointing out that this level of editing is still way beyond my skills.

Thank you.
Regards,
David.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]