ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

show package

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Crank
show package
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:10:41 am

Hello Everyone,

I've created lower thirds, titles, bugs, promos, wipes, etc. BUT I don't know what a "side slide" is. Anyone know what this is?

Thank you,

Heather

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: show package
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:29:48 pm

I've never encountered that term. It sounds like the client's in-house shorthand for horizontal-only motion of some kind. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to ask for clarification.

And you can get it by saying something like, "I know you want this graphic to slide horizontally from completely off the screen and fully onto the screen, but I'm not sure if you want it to come from the right or left, and I'm not sure how fast this should happen."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:15:24 pm

Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:33:15 pm

Like Dave and you I never heard the term before- it may just be an animated graphic element that moves the shot off the screen while bringing in another (horizontal wipe like Dave mentioned). I would also ask without being embarrassed that I do not know the term and I've been doing this for over 17 years now.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:16:06 pm

Thanks Ted, I am asking now.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:12:10 pm

With two veterans of television telling you they haven't heard of it, I'm going to say you can go ahead and ask.

My (complete and total) guess would be that it would be a graphic that comes in along the entire side of the screen and the main video slides a bit in the same direction so that whatever was centered in the shot remains centered in the newly narrower video area.
They do this on the SD broadcast of The Colbert Report quite often.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:17:44 pm

Thanks Michael,

Ok, I asked and it's like a lower third but animates on from the left side and includes the show logo, with a title template and bullet point template.

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:09:38 am

I learned something new today- thanks for sharing.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:47:45 pm

Hi Heather -

In my broadcast station days, we called this an "animated snipe". It's really an offshoot of the "bug", which, before these things got animated, was just the station, or show, logo in the lower third area, usually on the right, so as not to conflict with network graphics or other graphical elements. I'm sure you'll find as many different names as there are stations. Many of the terms come from the printing industry, from looong before there was television, bug and snipe in particular.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]