ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stroke animation question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jef Huey
stroke animation question
on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:53:39 pm

Let us say you are animating a stroke. How would you "attach" something to the leading (or trailing) edge of the animation. Say a flare or any element for that matter.

Does my question make sense?

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: stroke animation question
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:05:48 pm

I wouldn't use a Stroke effect. I'd use Write-On and use an expression to line the flare position to the effect's brush position.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:03:31 pm

I noticed you posted a similar response before. My concern is two things.

First, it seems that creating a path in Write On is not as easy/controlable as with a stroke from a mask (my desire).

Second, I was planning on using a shape layer for the stroke to get some of the options available there.

I don't think I can get these options with Write On - am I wrong?

Thanks for you help.

Jef

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:08:24 pm

[Jef Huey] " seems that creating a path in Write On is not as easy/controlable as with a stroke from a mask (my desire)."

Not so. You can paste the mask shape property into the brush path property.

[Jef Huey] "Second, I was planning on using a shape layer for the stroke to get some of the options available there."

If there is no no stroke animation property for a shape layer, you're kind of stuck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:26:59 pm

you can animate the stroke property on a shape layer using trim paths (from the 'add' menu to the right of the shape layer 'contents' choose 'trim paths'). animating the trim paths properties is similar to the stroke effect (start %, end %, offset).

however it will be tricky to get a motion path from a shape layer... you may need to use auto trace to get a mask path, then past that as a motion path....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:32:29 pm

Thanks Dave and Kevin, you have given me a starting place.

You'll hear from me when it doesn't stick ... ;)

Cheers,

Jef

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:06:03 pm

you can use stroke too... since stroke works on a mask path, you can copy/paste the mask path as a motion path for another layer or point control in an effect.

so for your flare example, you'd select the mask path that you were using for the stroke effect (select the layer, then type 'm' to show the mask path) select the 'mask path' property and the choose copy. then on the flare layer, twirl down the properties and effect properties for lens flare, select the flare center property and choose paste.

the flare should now track the mask. now adjust the flare center keyframes to time with the stroke effect.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:28:47 pm

Kevin,
I'm trying to do what you recommended. I created a mask and stroke and then I tried to transfer the movement to a flare. When I hit M I don't come up with anything on the mask path or copy to flare. It simply has its position and no key frames. Am I missing something entirely?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]