ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GPU Failure while Rendering GenArts' Plugs.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiGPU Failure while Rendering GenArts' Plugs.
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:27:41 pm

Hardware:
Windows 7 x64 Professional
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor (1.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)
8GB RAM DDR3
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M 1GB DDR3

Software:
A.E. CS5.5
Sapphire 5.0.3

These are official infos.. Now, the problem I encounter since always (even when working with 5.0 Sapphire and A.E. CS5) is that some Sapphire Effects make crash my GPU and sometimes the "OpenGl" making the program close or completely freeze. The thing I'd like to underline is that (obviously? Nowdays at least) in the Preferences I have OpenGL OFF. This happen both in Preview and Render, sometimes even just making the frame load. *mumble*

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: GPU Failure while Rendering GenArts' Plugs.
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:36:52 pm

[Michele Poggi] "Sapphire 5.0.3 ... Now, the problem I encounter since always (even when working with 5.0 Sapphire and A.E. CS5) is that some Sapphire Effects make crash my GPU and sometimes the "OpenGl" making the program close or completely freeze."

Update to Sapphire 5.04. It fixes some GPU-related crashes.

You can also disable GPU acceleration for an effect by clicking the Help checkbox for the effect in the effects control panel, then unchecking "GPU acceleration" in the help screen.

[Michele Poggi] "The thing I'd like to underline is that (obviously? Nowdays at least) in the Preferences I have OpenGL OFF. This happen both in Preview and Render, sometimes even just making the frame load. *mumble*"

AE's OpenGL preference only disables AE's OpenGL renderer -- it will not disable GPU acceleration within effects where it is available. Some effects require a GPU, but many (like Sapphire) will render on either the CPU or the GPU, and you can disable GPU acceleration on each instance of the effect.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: GPU Failure while Rendering GenArts' Plugs.
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 4:51:33 pm

Indeed it's not "AE OpenGL" that has problems.. It is DEACTIVATED. When that GPU fail happens, the next (istantaneous) error that make the whole program crash says something about the Nvidia Card: "The Nvidia OpenGL driver detected a problem with the Display Driver".

Sadly, I'm been impulsive writing down the topic, my memory was at fault, I do have 5.040 version and it says it is up to date.

..I honestly laughed (nervously) a little when I discovered the GPU control checkbox. Geez.. WHY do people make things complicated when it's not hard to simplify them? It's a known issue, so why "hide" that command? Thanks, it seems to help. :]

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: GPU Failure while Rendering GenArts' Plugs.
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 5:26:40 pm

[Michele Poggi] "I honestly laughed (nervously) a little when I discovered the GPU control checkbox. Geez.. WHY do people make things complicated when it's not hard to simplify them? It's a known issue, so why "hide" that command? Thanks, it seems to help. :]"

I agree that it's a very strange place to put it. I've just submitted a feature request to move the checkbox into the main effect controls.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]