ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Crashing when I drag a new item into timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark pearson
After Effects Crashing when I drag a new item into timeline
on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:08:03 pm

Here is the story, I am doing a pretty basic job, some kinetic typography, some Optical flares, particles...basic...

I am at the end of my work here and for some reason, the little finishing touches I want to do can't happen since AE crashes whenever I add something into the timeline

I am running Win7.64, 12gb RAM, i7 8 core,

All in AE CS5

What do I do?????

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: After Effects Crashing when I drag a new item into timeline
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:36:15 pm

You haven't given enough info, which is why you haven't gotten any answers, but I'll try to offer some things to consider anyway ...

Make sure you have the latest updates installed for AE CS5.

Turn off Multiprocessing ... you've got enough cores for 64-bit, but possibly not enough RAM to feed them for both AE and your O/S.

Turn off OpenGL ... rarely useful.

Close other software and background processes that are not necessary for your AE work.

Trash AE's preferences.

Provide more info:
What does "crash" mean to you ... freezes? quits?
Does it happen no matter what you add to the timeline?
Does it happen only with the one project or with any AE project?
Have you recently changed anything about your machine (hard or soft)?
What are the details of your project (codecs, resolution, etc.)?
Anything else potentially relevant come to mind that others can't know unless you tell us?

Return to posts index

mark pearson
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:33:26 am

I did what you told me and it worked, it was the trashing preferences that did the trick for me. Thanks!

(for future users who come across this thread)
In terms of your questions:

crash - error message telling me to go to Adobe troubleshooting forum and then forces a new save file (probably to protect me???)

timeline Every time and any file that gets dragged in results in error message

Every Project? No. Just the one I described. I tried another one that also had a lot of pre-rendered flares, but no errors. odd.

recent changes? Yes. I was running a 30 day trial of Windows 7 64 bit, it ran out which cause my screen saver to go blank. I purchased a license registered it, and now its back to normal (windows that is)

other details? I was watching on half resolution and RAM previewing on half. I have a brand new machine and I have not installed any codecs yet.

Other? I can't think of anything else other than I had changed (a while ago) some of the secret preferences in order to get a faster render, I had read it in a forum somewhere.

I was also on multiprocessing and openGl (4gb to others, 8 to Adobe products) 2 GB per core using 4 cores.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:32:02 pm

I'm glad you got it sorted.

If the same project file works fine after only trashing the prefs, the issue was probably a setting that you inadvertently changed since trashing the prefs wouldn't fix a corrupt project file. Re-setting the preferences turns off things like Multi-processing and OpenGL, which might've been the culprit(s).

By the way, using the secret preferences incorrectly and/or when they're not really needed does more harm than good ... that's why they're secret.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]