ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Opening sequences?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric RobinsanOpening sequences?
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:10:30 am

This is rather related to After Effects more than it is an issue with the program or tutorial. I like having opening sequences for some videos I make. Rather than still titles, I want something short, interesting, and that can introduce a short video clip.

I know there are some tutorials online for specific titles, but there are not many of these. Does anyone have any experience with this or does anyone have any resources they could recommend for me to look? I would like to learn how to compose my own from scratch and other source files. The problem is that I just do not have the eye for this. Where does one learn this? I searched for specific books or articles and I did not find any. Where do people who make them for film and TV learn the art?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Opening sequences?
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:14:27 am

Books and tutorials on line will help, but most people learn skills by "stealing" from others who have more experience. Get some time into a post house, offer to do assisting work for free with an experienced artist and learn from what you see. Also, a lot of hours spent in front of the computer, using the software to replicate what others are doing will help you develop your skills. Thake some examples that you like and try to replicate what you see. Breaking down a shot into it's elements and figuring out how to achieve tha effect or look will develop your thinking for motion graphics and visual effects.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Opening sequences?
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:21:43 am

I would suggest looking at other peoples work and their breakdowns about how they went about creating them. If you can get into a real place that does like Tudor says that would probably be even better. Two good places online to look is & . These two sites do an excellent job of presenting the titles and interviewing the creator so you get some real insight into their thought process.

Their also are a couple on these site from people who are just trying to get into title design and just created their own (

If you just want to learn the how their seems to be a bunch of tut's from sites like the cow, aetuts, and other.

hope that helps

greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Opening sequences?
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:03:25 pm

I'd like to refer you to a thread from earlier this year:

I really just want to make cool compositions... Where do I start...? [link]

I would also add that it's important to develop a good understanding of graphic design, typography and animation principles. You might look for a couple books like Robin Williams's The Non-Designer's Design Book, Ellen Lupton's Thinking with Type, and Angie Taylor's Design Essentials for the Motion Media Artist.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved