ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fixing warped footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather MahoneyFixing warped footage
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:31:32 pm

I am working on a vintage 35mm film on my Mac that unfortunately has warping problems. The warped, wobbly footage usually occurs right after a splice and lasts up to a couple seconds. Re-transfering the film is not an option. I have recently downloaded the trial version of AE CS5.5 wanting to try out the new Warp Stabilizer. Is this tool only meant to fix shaky and unstable shots or can it also be used to fix warped film? When I tested it on my clip no matter what method I used for stabilization the image still had a wobbly jell-o like feel to it. I understand if this software might not even be what I need. The only software I am aware of that is designed specifically for warped film is the dewarp feature in DaVinci Revival. I plan on sending out the worst of the warped shots to a Revival tech to fix, but I am wondering if After Effects can be used to at least make a good although not perfect fix. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fixing warped footage
by on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:03:23 am

The Warp Stabilizer wasn't designed for this sort of thing.

But there are many distortion effects in After Effects that might be of some use.

If I were faced with your situation, I'd try using the Mesh Warp effect to pull the image back into its correct shape. You can use keyframes to animate the mesh.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved