ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d space text zoom

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaron Pulver3d space text zoom
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:20:08 pm

Hi i'm trying to zoom in on an actual text layer and zoom in all the way in to an actual letter of the text. When zooming in with the null object (z) linked to a camera (by the way the text is a 3d layer a well), it will start to zoom in and then instantly the text will disappear...?

I have never seen anything like it before. I went to the other computer and did the same and it zoomed into the text just fine. But there must be some setting where is zooms in to much or something.

Any help would be great!

Return to posts index

Joshua MooreRe: 3d space text zoom
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:11:51 am

Hey Jaron,
Sounds like there is a slight confusion with "zooming" and "moving" the camera in 3d space. If you are "zooming" with the null object z setup I believe you are describing, you are actually moving the camera forwards/backwards (z axis). When you move the camera past a layer in 3d space the layer will disappear suddenly.

It sounds like your text is too small (or your camera lens too wide), and the camera is going past the text before it "fills the frame"

To confirm that this is the issue see if the z position of the camera and the text are the same when the text disappears. A visual way to do this (helpful when working in 3d) is at the bottom of the viewer window locate the "active camera" and "1 view" buttons. Change to 2 views, and change one of the views to a side or custom view (leaving one of the views the active camera). The side/custom view should show the camera passing through the text layer at the problem point.

To fix it, change the lens/zoom setting on the camera (not the z position) in combination with the scale of the text layer to get your desired effect. I would work backwards. Start with filling the frame with the single letter. Position the camera (z) to be right in front of (but not through) the text. Then adjust the size of the text to taste. Set your camera position keyframe. Then go to the point in time you want the camera to see all the text and adjust the z position of the camera. Set another position keyframe and you should be good.

Hope this helps.

Joshua Moore
Shooter - Editor - Motion Graphics - VFX
Feature films, commercials, promos, cinematic wedding films, etc...
I work at Higher Definition Media & Lovestruck Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved