ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

An Editor Needs Advice on Basic Roto - Please

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rundell
An Editor Needs Advice on Basic Roto - Please
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:29:46 pm

I'm am a feature union editor. Not a compositor. But I need to cut out a car for 29 frames that is going from frame right to frame left for my off-line. Back about 7 years ago when I knew how to roto on Combustion, it was a frame by frame process of cutting one mask at time for THAT FRAME ONLY, going to the next frame, etc. When I do that in AE, all masks are on ALL FRAMES after the comp. That's not working for me in this shot. I am just wanting each mask to be there on one frame only. How can one do this in AE?

I have CS3.

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: An Editor Needs Advice on Basic Roto - Please
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:15:07 pm

Masks do persist but the Mask Path (the shape of the mask) can be keyframed. Typically this is how roto work is done prior to CS5's Roto brush.

This may help: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/oconnell_pete/roto.php

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:25:31 pm

Rotoscoping a car moving across the frame is relatively easy because the shape of the car doesn't change (much) from one frame to the next, so you can do the majority of your work by drawing a single mask around the car and animating the movement of the mask to match that of the car.

See this video for the basic technique. I'm tracking an actor's face and being rather loose with the mask because it's just for secondary color correction, but the principles are the same.

See this page for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Matthew Rundell
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:05:44 pm

That tutorial is confusing while under an assembly deadline (and a baby on the way). I had to do this in Motion, which I know. Since FCP is falling off the map and I am moving to AVID, I want to get a better understading of AE as a workflow for narrative editorial assistance. I am assuming that AE's masks persit no matter what, right? Bummer. I couldn't even move the mask without it disappearing, and the "G" keys just don't seem to help, I'm either adding points or removing points-- no control when I don't know that I'm doing. What's the most cost effective way to learn the baics of the app quicly and without a lot of pain for a non-fx guy? I went to Andrew Kramer, but he didn't have anything on basic masking in regards to whether or not they persist. Frustrated.

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:19:34 pm

Glad you got the job taken care of in Motion.

As you've experienced personally, learning AE isn't exactly a stroll through the woods. It isn't very intuitive, either. It demands a good knowledge of the AE Basics, without which one experiences frustration and hits dead ends.

If you can invest some dough, I'd look at Total Training's AE materials. You get a good idea what they cover on the Total Training web site. I used their stuff to learn AE.

If you like books, check out Chris & Trish Meyer's AE books, which come with files & projects for each lesson on disc. I have a couple of their books, too.

You can also check out a VERY reasonably-priced work from Adobe's Todd Kopriva and Angie Taylor, a real AE whiz:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

Any of these three things will help a lot in the learning process.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Rundell
on Aug 20, 2011 at 12:10:51 am

Thank you. I know it's important for me to get a good, basic understanding of this app as an editor. I'll look into these.

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Mritunjay kumar
on May 22, 2012 at 1:02:00 am

hi

i am jr. com. and roto artist
i want to some vfx work part time can you help?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 15, 2011 at 11:13:01 am

Mocha is a great tool for roto that comes with AE. It will make life easier for you!

These tutorials will help you understand Mocha:
http://ae.tutsplus.com/articles/roundup/28-magnificent-mocha-tutorials/

This one may especially be of use since it shows how to roto a car:
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/redgianttv/item/29/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]