ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sampling exposure (or HLS) from one layer and applying to another...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amit Ashraf
Sampling exposure (or HLS) from one layer and applying to another...
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:29:35 pm

I am working on a stop-motion animation which was shot outside. So there is a lot of flickering in lighting, which is okay. But I need to erase a rig that holds up a puppet. The back template is at one lighting and does not match the front layer throughout.

I was wondering is there an effect or expression that samples the exposure or HLS from the front layer and can apply it to the back layer, so the flickering affect is translated to the back template? So let say we start with a uniform exposure in which the front and back match. Then as the front changes, we add or subtract the difference to the HLS or exposure of the back template.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Sampling exposure (or HLS) from one layer and applying to another...
on Aug 15, 2011 at 1:59:08 pm

You could use the Color Stabilizer effect [link] to minimize the flicker in the front layer.

If you're open to third-party effects, GenArts Sapphire has a compound effect called S_FlickerMatch which does exactly what you describe: looks for flicker in a second source clip and attempts to match it in the first.

If you want to dive into an expression that will drive an automated adjustment, you could start with sampleImage [link] and rgbToHsl [link]. This should be doable, but it may be quite a bit of work to tweak to look completely natural.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]