ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim TaylorEeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 12:36:31 pm

Ok, so got a slight situation over here!

My project is due first thing tomorrow, and all I need to do is render the project. I thought this would be pretty straight-forward as I've done all the creative work, pre-rendered all the scenes in my 4-minute long movie to lossless MOV animations, and compiled them into a master comp. It is 720p. My computer is not very powerful (Only 3GHz iMac with just 4GB of RAM). So not a beefy machine, but pretty much all I need to do is stitch all the pre-rendered scenes together in sequence. Annoying that AE can't do that...

The problem is, during rendering, it goes about halfway (after 40 minutes or so) and then either hangs eternally with the beachball of death, or quits altogether. I'm going crazy! I don't know what else to try. I've cleared out 20GB of space on my HD, restarted my mac, disable preview, purge all...

Anyone got any ideas? Can it just not handle the bulk of file? Annoying as all the work is done and it needs to be in tomorrow! My current tactic is to try using Quicktime Pro to paste them in sequence... Any help would be really appreciated!!

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 1:12:36 pm

If you haven't already, try ...

Making sure you have the latest updates installed for your version of AE, which you didn't mention.

Turning off Multiprocessing ... your machine can't handle it.

Turning off OpenGL ... not very useful ... especially when rendering and using a less than optimal machine.

Turning off any background processes your machine may be running that are not essential to rendering ... sorry I don't recall off-hand what the system tool used to do that on a Mac is called.

Using AE's "Sechret Preferences" ... search AE's help for details.

Seeing if you can figure out what is causing the render fail and change it. Look at the render log file. And, if the fails are happening at the same comp time, look at what effects, etc. are at that time for any issues with effect stacking order, etc.

Rendering to an image sequence so, if all else fails, you can pick up failed renders where they left off and perhaps get through the whole thing with sequential renders after each fail.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 1:19:30 pm

ok, help on the way!
;)

check if there is a problem with a font!
are all font´s still on the maschine?
do they work?

or

try to render as TIFF or PNG sequenz, by doning so, you have what you have till the crash, then start the render new at the point of the crash.
this way you go step by step, but it´s moving!

after this reimport or reder it together using QT (keep the sound in mind!!)

or

make a totaly new ae-project, drop all the prerenders in it and go from there

good luck!
steven

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

Kim TaylorRe: Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:34:05 pm

Hey thanks guys, an image sequence seems like a really good idea.
My only question with this is, when it came to convert that image sequence to a MOV or H264, I would need to use AE again, wouldn't I?

I'm a bit worried the same problem might happen where it can't handle creating such a big MOV, or would it be easier for it to convert from TIFF sequence instead of pre-rendered MOVs?

I had a look into converting image sequence in QT, looks OK but I can't see where to put the sound on? Sound and sync is really important because this is a little lyric video for a music track!

Thanks guys (Have checked multiprocessing, openGL are all off, fonts OK. Secret settings are now on!)

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:49:35 pm

you will need QT-Pro.

Shift+CMD+O // open Imagesequenz
open the sound file with another QT-Player
(render it out from AE // sound only // so the sound should be sync)
CMD+A // select the whole audio clip
select the QT-Player with the sequenz
ALT+CMD+V // paste the audio under the video (!!! playhead at the verry beginning !!!)
export as...
take the rest of the day off, client will be happy!
;)

Steven

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:00:42 pm

I especially like the last part!
I will try this, and see how it goes. Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:22:04 pm

Worked like a charm!! And rendered twice as quick as a TIFF sequence for some reason!

Saved my ass, thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

Will QuirkRe: Eeep! Project due and render keeps crashing!
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:12:17 am

I've been up all night trying to render a huge amount of animation work for a client who's presenting tomorrow, and it was hanging, and I was panicking! TIFF sequence did the job, and it rendered much faster too.

I know this was 5 years ago, but thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]