ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stabilizing a 360 shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug HannaStabilizing a 360 shot
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 4:09:48 pm

I have a handheld 360 shot that's just a tad too shaky. Is there anyway to just smooth out and stabilize the motion?

Because it's a 360 shot, we can't track any particular point.

Return to posts index

Joshua MooreRe: Stabilizing a 360 shot
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 5:03:54 pm

Hey Doug, you can try linking multiple tracks. I've done it on big panning shots before.

Basically, you start at the beginning of the shot and track as far as you can, apply that to a null. Then keep doing that progressively with about a second of overlap until you've tracked the whole shot in pieces. So you will end up with multiple null objects that have part of the track data. Then you will link them together in a chain and end up with one null object that tracks across the entire shot. And you just parent stuff to that null, or whatever you are trying to do with the track data.

Video copilot tutorial #45, 3 minutes in demonstrates this. (link from my iPad may not work right on your desktop).

Alternately, if you have AE CS5.5 there is a stabilization feature. If it's just one shot, you could look into downloading a trial of a stabilization plugin like Lock&Load?

Hope that helps.

Joshua Moore
Shooter - Editor - Motion Graphics - VFX
Feature films, commercials, promos, cinematic wedding films, etc...
I work at Higher Definition Media & Lovestruck Films

Return to posts index

Max WeissenbacherRe: Stabilizing a 360 shot
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 5:31:45 pm

Maybe try to find some points or rather areas (mocha) that are all about the same z-distance from the camera, track them, parent them together, stabilize the shot, precomp it and then hit the collapse transform switch and reapply the moition manually or via the original tracks bzt smoothed out (using the smooth expression).
Maybe if shot is going to be split up do several seperate stabilisations, nobody is going to notice that.

The only tips I can give you, maybe also do a matchmove and export a moving scene to get some trackers to work with!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Stabilizing a 360 shot
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:20:41 am

Use the Warp Stabilizer.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved