ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

using spotlight effect on footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Atchley
using spotlight effect on footage
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:28:37 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to use the spotlight effect on some video that I have, but it doesn't seem to work. When I create a new light, it gives me the light adjustment tool in the comp window, but nothing shows. I'm wondering if the light effect only works on certain kinds of layers. Any help would be great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: using spotlight effect on footage
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:34:42 pm

[Brian Atchley] "I'm wondering if the light effect only works on certain kinds of layers."

Are you making a light or using some lighting effect?

If it's a light layer as opposed to a lighting effect, it only works on 3D layers set to accept lights and cast shadows... and they have to be placed in 3D space, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Atchley
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:39:37 pm

I am making a light, but it's only purpose is to spotlight a character in a film clip. The vid is a 3d layer, i just don't know why the light wont work on it.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:28:03 pm

[Brian Atchley] "The vid is a 3d layer, i just don't know why the light wont work on it."

When you turn the light's visibility on and off the composition doesn't change at all?

Select your 3D footage layer and hit 'aa' to reveal its material properties. Make sure that "Accepts Lights" is On.

Also make sure that you are NOT in Draft 3D mode. This is a composition switch at the top of the timeline, it looks like a cube with a sun over it's upper left corner. It's in between the Live Update and the Shy switches.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]