ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Selecting a nested property of multiple layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaushik Ghara
Selecting a nested property of multiple layers
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:33:44 am

Suppose I have a shape layer with an Ellipse and I want to modify the 'Rotation' property of the Ellipse, then instead of going from twirling the ShapeLayer->Contents->Ellipse->Transform:Ellipse->Rotation, is there a shortcut to do the same ?

This will help me when I have to change the same property of multiple shapes at once.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Selecting a nested property of multiple layers
on Aug 11, 2011 at 2:18:06 pm

typing 'r' should reveal the rotation properties for any selected layers.

there are many other useful keyboard shortcuts, you can find them in the manual.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kaushik Ghara
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:29:24 pm

Thanks Kevin for your response.

Typing 'r' does show the Rotation property of the selected shape layer but I intend to access the Rotation property of the shape object inside the layer and not the layer's rotation property.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:42:59 pm

sorry, i missed that detail...

i can't think of a simple way to get that property specifically, but if you have a key frame on a property and type 'u' it will reveal the property with the keyframe (note, it will reveal all properties with keyframes).

so, you could create a single key frame on the rotation property of one shape, select that property and choose edit>copy. then select the other shape layers and choose edit>paste.

then selecting the layer(s) and typing 'u' would reveal all the rotation properties for all the shape layers... and of course any other keyfraemd properties...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kaushik Ghara
on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:33:25 pm

Thanks for the tip Kevin. It will definitely help.

Suppose, if there is one shape layer with multiple shapes inside it and I wish to change the same property of multiple shapes, then is there a shortcut for doing that ?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:50:54 pm

you'd need to shift-select each the properties that you want to change, then scrub or enter a value. each shape layer should then get the same value.

you could also use an expression to link all the rotation properties of each shape to a single shape, or even a rotation control... a rotation expression control might be an easy way to the access the rotations.

to do something like that, you'd add a rotation expression control (from effects>expressino controls) to the layer (it could be any layer or a null, but if you have multiple shapes on a single layer, it might as well be the same layer). then enable expressions for one of the rotation properties (animation>add expression) and drag the expression pickwhip from that rotation property to the rotation value of the expression control.

now when you adjust the rotation control, the shape should rotate. to link the rest of the shapes that are on that layer, simply select the rotation property with the expression and choose edit>copy expression only. then select the other shapes and paste.

now they should all be linked to the same control.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kaushik Ghara
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:27:37 am

Thanks for the tip Kevin. Will definitely try it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]