ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy NelsonGhosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:31:49 pm

Hello, I am experiencing some unwanted effects on my after effects render. It is not footage, it is from shapes created inside after effects.

Here is the video so you can see exactly the problem. The purple boxes around the photos are not smooth at all, the worst part is when it speeds up and moves off the screen.

I have tried using motion blur, and turning up the sample rate of the blur. I've also changed some export settings, but haven't seen an improvement.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:47:31 pm

Perhaps it's the slow internet connection at my desk, but I find it difficult to see anything wrong, even when I go to YouTube for the larger-sized image. Everything looks fine.

Are these boxes built in nested 3D comps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Troy NelsonRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:01:48 pm

The boxes are not in nested comps because there is a little bit of a 3d effect to them and the 3D doesn't go beyond the current comp.

Maybe you can tell my boss it looks fine :)

Actually if you make the video full screen, you can see the problem better. The quality isn't HD on Youtube, but the problem is nearly identical to when I make it full screen HD on my computer.

Return to posts index

Troy NelsonRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:12:08 pm

Here is another Graphic, Problem might be a little more obvious.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:17:03 pm

I could see some judder on the move, but that's about it. Is that what you're describing?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:22:02 pm

I have fought with this 'juddering' issue in After Effects for the past three years - it's especially bad on text scrolling. There doesn't appear to be any easy way around it other than slowing your animation down considerably (not always an option).

Using motion blur and maybe applying a slight gaussian blur (0.3 or so) to the layer/s in question can sometimes help.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ghosting/Strobing/Flickering Problem
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:01:19 pm

Judder has been an issue since the advent of moving pictures. It's not just in motion graphics either, it's also in panning and more. Did you see Cowboys and Aliens? If not, go watch it and pay attention to the opening shot. It judders quite a bit.

There's a great knowledge base article on Avoiding Judder in Motion Graphics here: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]