ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg DorsainvilleUsing tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:20:49 pm

I have been looking in the forums all day, and i just cannot find the appropriate conversation for this problem.
Has anyone had success or come across an expression that takes corner pin data and converts it to data that can rotate a null object? I have motion tracked limbs and head and i would like to link the motion data to a 3d null with more than just XY movement, but Z as well.

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:26:50 pm

Are you using Mocha? I don't believe Mocha can export 3d data. Try using Boujou or the Foundry's new tracker.

vurb.tv

Return to posts index

Greg DorsainvilleRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:45:34 pm

Thank you for the response. I am not using mocha, i am using the built in camera tracker. I am not tracking camera movement (it is a locked down shot) which i thought the 3d tracker is best used for. I am trying to get rotation data of a body with tracking markers, much like motion capture. Can Nukes 3d tracker get me rotation data that i can apply to an AE null? I will look into bonjou.

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:58:30 pm

You can get rotation data from the built in tracker. Make sure you select it when setting up your track. You'll have to track two different points. Good luck.

vurb.tv

Return to posts index

Greg DorsainvilleRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:18:04 pm

Great, do you know if it is possible to take the scale data and make it into true Z translational data?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:43:53 pm

[Greg Dorsainville] "do you know if it is possible to take the scale data and make it into true Z translational data?"

Not really. For what you want, I'd look at Boujou or Syntheyes. I believe both have tryout versions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Using tracking data to move a 3d Null object
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 1:14:28 am

Hi Dave, The Foundry's Camera Tracker works well. And to the OP, AE doesn't have a "built-in camera tracker" - it's a 2D motion/object/point tracker. Camera Trackers are defined as 3D trackers.

You can still link a 2D point to a 3D point but the Z-position property will be zero. You'll have to manually massage the z-position property to get the desired results. Since it's a locked-down shot, this should be rather painless.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]