ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Screen capture video in after effects. Resolution question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cecilia ruiz-smithScreen capture video in after effects. Resolution question
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02:38 pm

Hi, I'm working on an AE project that includes footage captured directly from my monitor. I used Capture Wiz to capture Google Earth tours. I captured the video at 1280 x 720 using these settings from CaptureWiz: Export as WMV, 32bit,29.97fps. I then imported the footage into AE composition and interpreted the footage to fit the composition: 720x480 standard NTSC widescreen 29.90/fps.

Rationale: Initially, I tried capturing google earth tour using their settings for standard ntsc (720x486)to match the composition settings for my AE project (ntsc standard widescreen) but this rendered a worse image this is why I decided to try a higher resolution capture (1280x720) hoping that it would look better in After effects after rendering. It helped but not that much

When I render the AE footage as avi (best settings, lossless) then convert to MPEG2-DVD (using ntsc progessive high quality widescreen setting in the adobe media encoder) the resolution looks somewhat soft. Is there anything I can do to boost imported film footage resolution?

Any advice would be appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Screen capture video in after effects. Resolution question
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:19:19 pm

I don't think so. It sounds like you did everything the right way. There's a definite difference between SD & HD, and you're probably seeing it.

But can you clarify what you mean by the term "soft", and what you're using to see the difference between SD & HD?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cecilia ruiz-smithRe: Screen capture video in after effects. Resolution question
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:24:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Since then, I've been running tests and I found that outputting from media encoder using "match source attributes at highest quality" makes the image a bit sharper. I can live with this little improvement.

Also, I was gratified to learn from you that I've done all of the right things to try and get the best image possible for DVD. I can live with the results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved