ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects cs5 constantly having pinwheel freezes and occasional crashing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Clark
After effects cs5 constantly having pinwheel freezes and occasional crashing
on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:23:36 am

It is version 10.0.1, running on a Mac Pro quad core intel xeon with 12 GB of memory.

I'm trying to isolate what the problem could be. So far I've tried trashing the preferences plist file but this hasn't helped.

It may have something to do with a plugin being used for the project called Camera Tracker 1.0 from The Foundry.

My other main suspect is that it might be to do with a lag in reading the assets for the project. We recently installed a system called Space which delivers media at high speed over ethernet, according to it's specs it ought to be able to handle the amount of data the project is sucking through the pipes at any given moment and with final cut projects, multiple operators across multiple suits have successfully on the fly edited and streamed much more demandingly than this project has required, including multiple simultaneous streams of Apple Pro Res 422 HD footage. However as this a recent installation it's still a suspect, could too high a latency or too slow a read speed cause this kind of behaviour? When the system has been maxed out on bandwidth before the playback becomes choppy but the pinwheel does not appear, on those occasions however, it was final cut and not After Effects that we were using.

The last thing I can think of is that it might be that the machine needs a permissions repair done as, general system slowness has happened with this particular machine before and was overcome in this way. various plugins and software installations have been performed since it's last permissions repair and most likely also, fonts would have been added to the system. This seems like the least likely culprit though because the system appears to perform fine except in after effects.

The operator took a screenshot of the crash log after the program crashed altogether the only part of this log I can see that seems to shed light on the what type of problems were encountered is where it says

"Exception type:EXC_BREAKOUT (SIGTRAP)"

This doesn't really mean anything to me, anyone know what might be happening here?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After effects cs5 constantly having pinwheel freezes and occasional crashing
on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:06:52 pm

Have you tried updating to 10.0.2?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

James Clark
Re: After effects cs5 constantly having pinwheel freezes and occasional crashing
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:38:40 am

Good point, I'll update as soon as I can

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:37:15 pm

I'd suggest testing with local footage. I'm also curious what your Memory & Multiprocessing prefs are currently. I've seen horrible slowdowns when using odd numbers of instances with a Mac Pro.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

James Clark
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:40:13 am

Interesting, I'll have to check on those, after effects had however been working seemingly fine on projects just prior to now

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]