ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apple Final Cut Pro to Windows After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Phillips
Apple Final Cut Pro to Windows After Effects
on Aug 10, 2011 at 1:01:07 am

Good Evening and i want to apologize if i am repeating an already answered question.

I am having an issue going from Apple Final Cut Pro into After Effects on a PC. The capture scratch and even the exported quicktimes do not seem to work on a PC. The original footage is HDV 1080i60.

i have done some research and found that i can buy a mpeg-2 codec for PC, however at this time i do not have the funds to do so at this time. Does anyone know what compression i can export out of FCP that will work on a PC? Without quality loss?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Apple Final Cut Pro to Windows After Effects
on Aug 10, 2011 at 2:14:00 am

A lot of folks use Animation or PNG codec in a QuickTime container for this purpose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Chris Phillips
on Aug 10, 2011 at 2:16:42 am

Will a PNG sequence still hold all the audio information?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:15:37 am

I didn't suggest a PNG sequence. I suggested using the PNG codec within a QuickTime container.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:25:13 am

Your FCP capture scratch files and exported QuickTimes don't work on your PC because they're in a codec that isn't on your PC. In other words, it doesn't matter what the original footage was ... what matters is how the media was captured/encoded on the Mac (in the case of capture scratch) and what codec the FCP sequence is in (in the case that you export self-contained QTs using the sequence codec, which is the default).

It's important to understand that what I've only added more detail to doesn't contradict what Todd said ... basically, that you need to export from FCP using a codec that your PC has (unlike some of the codecs FCP uses). The PNG or Animation codecs are good for that purpose. Another option is to install the codec you use on your Mac on your PC (i.e., if you use AJA or BMD Uncompressed codecs or a particular flavor of HDV).

Based on the questions, it seems that you could save yourself lots of time and frustration by reading up on the subject since video codecs and formats are not a subject that one can just stumble through without understanding. Perhaps Google for some type of video codec primer that explains the basics.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02:14 pm

To add to David's comments, it would also be helpful to know what you're trying to DO -- what you plan to accomplish in AE that can't be done in FCP, and how you plan to use your AE work when you're done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]