ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Resolution, from Photoshop to A-E

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary JarvisResolution, from Photoshop to A-E
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:45:16 pm

My layers in PS are 300 resolution, the physical size is 16" x 9", I then import them to A_E and reduce them to 23% to fit into my 1280 x 720 HD frame. I enlarge them to 400% at full resolution and, "Oh man" the pixels are to die from, they are awful.

So, I went back to PS and enlarged them to 400-500=600% they look great. My aim is to play this animation on a 65" plasma, am I going to have a pixelated vid and, if so, what is the best way to handle these files?

Tks.

Yep, he's new, this is my first AE animation

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaroRe: Resolution, from Photoshop to A-E
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:22:14 am

Man...things are friendly. You are working to much + from your description i do not have an exact info on how to give you the exact answer!
Just drop your original Photoshop file in the "create composition icone"in After Effect.

afterwards...do whatever you will like to from your composition settings

random tuts:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

http://www.videocopilot.net/presets/aspect_ratio_letterbox/

Ciao.
nic

Return to posts index

gary JarvisRe: Resolution, from Photoshop to A-E
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 1:06:31 am

Thanks Nicco, That does simplify the sizing process in as far as, bringing the large PS files into AE and sizing them to the comp so, tks mate

Back to the basis of the original question and that is, "if a hi-res multi layer PS file is imported into AE, and, when enlarged and viewed in AE it looks much more pixelated than, when enlarged in PS at the same %. This being the case, when I render the vid will I have the same type of resolution that I am seeing (pixelated) in AE or PS?

What is the basic rule of thumb?

Tks

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Resolution, from Photoshop to A-E
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:37:03 am

AE isn't doing anything wrong to your images ... you're using your images wrong in AE. In other words, the dpi in PS means nothing to the video world that AE works in. So, if you scale a PS layer up to 400% in AE (or anything significantly more than 100%), yes it's going to look like crap regardless of it's dpi. Make your PS layers the largest you need them to be for the AE work(dimensions, not dpi) and scale them down in AE when needed, but not up beyond 100%. If you don't like that approach, the other option is to use vector graphics in AE (from AI instead of PS) and scale up to your heart's content.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:50:35 am

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to David, "thanks David" I now get the basic logic.

Okay, let's say I want to project my vid on a 16' x 9' or larger screen, I am using PS, "what is the best way to prep and save a file"?
Also, where can I find a chart for projection/screen size settings to use in AE?

Tks

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:53:08 am

To project to a 16x9' screen, just make your PS layers and AE comp 1920x1080, which is 16x9 HD resolution. You do not need to try to scale them up to match the size of the screen as that's what the projector does. So, I really don't think there is such a thing as a chart for projection/screen size settings to use in AE. What it seems you should learn more about is video resolutions and aspect ratios.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2011 at 1:07:17 pm

Once again "thanks David".

I have just downloaded this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions and, will talk to my mates in the industry to get preferences and feedback of the systems they prefer.

Just to confirm, when you say " just make your PS layers and AE comp 1920x1080" I can take my PS layers to any size above 1920 x 1080, as long as the aspect ratio is the relatable, then convert them once I bring them into AE.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:31:23 pm

[Gary Jarvis] I can take my PS layers to any size above 1920 x 1080, as long as the aspect ratio is the relatable, then convert them once I bring them into AE.

Sort of ... depending largely on the horsepower of your machine, as layers get bigger and bigger in screen size, they will become more and more cumbersome to work with in AE. And, it's unclear what you mean by "convert them" ... if you mean scale them, yes, you can make them bigger and scale them down in AE, but if you need to work with layers much bigger than 1920x1080, you might consider making them as vector graphics.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:38:50 pm

Got it, thanks Dave you've been a great help mate

All the best

Gary

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Resolution, from Photoshop to A-E
by on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:24:37 pm

Glad to help, Gary. All the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>