ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5.5 Timecode Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Woodard
CS5.5 Timecode Issue
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:23:13 pm

When I render files using After Effects CS 5.5 with timecode support I get a resulting file with inaccurate timecode. My source material is Arri Alexa ProRes Files & Canon EOS Camera Files, both 23.98. When imported into After Effects they show up with correct timecode and frame rate. Once files are rendered out of After Effects and imported into Final Cut Pro or opened by QuickTime Pro they show up as 30fps and the time code is shifted. However if I import the rendered files back into After Effects they show up correctly in the browser.

Patrick Woodard

Return to posts index

Phil Brooks
Re: CS5.5 Timecode Issue
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:19:00 pm

I am having the same issue. Source footage is Canon 5D h.264.

I am also conforming the 29.97 clips to 23.98. (Both by just dropping the 29.97 into a 29.98 comp, and also using the interpret ftg dialog)

Files appear correct upon re-import into after effects, but QT and FCP and Resolve show the wrong TC.

Strangely, both QT and FCP playback at the correct 23.98 fps, but the frame count goes through 29 frames.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:30:06 pm

As you set up the project, did you also set the Time Display Units TO 23.976?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Brooks
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:41:52 pm

I have it set to "Timecode - > Use Media Source". However, the link you provided says "Important: Changing the time display format does not alter the frame rate of your assets or output—it changes only how frames are numbered for display in After Effects." So I'm not sure where the issue is happening.

If Adobe is in fact aware as Dave says, let's hope they solve this asap. Nothing more frustrating that a great new (overdue) feature that doesn't work as expected.

I'll update if I find a workaround in the meantime.

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Patrick Woodard
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:30:35 pm

I got word that Adobe is aware of this and will be fixed in the next update.

Patrick Woodard

http://www.patrickwoodard.me

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]