ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elisha KranzWhitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:33:46 pm

Hello everyone. I'm trying to put this effect:

On some runway footage I have. I figure the WKUK crew used a green screen, but I was wondering if there was a way I could closely simulate that cut out animated effect. Here is a screen shot of the part of the footage that would work with that effect

It's about a 10 second clip of the young lady just walking down the runway. I was thinking there was a way I could either extrude her completely from the video and use it against a different background or have a mask follow her down the runway. My knowledge of After Effects is pretty solid, though some of the finer elements escape me, so I might be a little slow to understand. If anyone can help me out, that'd be great.

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:41:33 pm

All in all, it should be pretty simple. Just do a somewhat close rotoscope of her for the time you need, then apply a stroke around the mask of her, and there ya go. Depending on the thickness of the stroke should dictate how close of a mask you roto--the thinner the stroke the more accurate the roto. But by applying a stroke around the roto'd subject you have a bit of leeway. From there, you are able to adjust the overall color of the subject and whatever else FX you want.
Hope this helps

Tim
Now featuring AVID Media Composer
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio 7 (Sorry, no iMovie Pro)
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:47:49 pm

[Tim Vaughan] "Just do a somewhat close rotoscope of her for the time you need"

Wow, somebody who actually LIKES to rotoscope! Will wonders never cease?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:59:54 pm

Hahaha No, brother! There isn't any "love" for rotoscoping! hahaha But like you eluded to, when something isn't planned in pre, the alternatives are somewhat limited. I've tried AE's rotobrush, and frankly I've found the manual way just a bit easier and cleaner overall in the long run. Especially when doing a tight track.

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:46:08 pm

If that's all you have, you must rotoscope. Since you know AE well, you know what that implies.

Rotobrush might be able to ease the pain a little bit.

Incidentally, that station shot chroma key for the precise reason that they wanted to avoid pain. They pulled the key, then duplicated the layer and precomped the lower layer. In the precomp, they used Simple Choker to extend the matte, then used it as a track matte with a white solid to create the white border.

That's a lot easier than a chroma key. Tons easier. Lots faster.

Why does everybody assume they can avoid shooting chroma key and use AE as some sort of magic wand to fix all ills?

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elisha KranzRe: Whitest Kids u Know-esque effect
by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:50:33 pm

Thank you both so much. I need to study up on mattes and such like that before I can really comphrehend both solutions, but for now, the rotobrush will work just fine. The model walks down a solid path. Though, I did manage to get almost what I want through just keyframing a mask while I was waiting for an answer. Heh. Amazing what you can figure out. Thank you both so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]