ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

z-space position not working in 3D, also 3D obscuring all other non-3D layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Romaneck
z-space position not working in 3D, also 3D obscuring all other non-3D layers
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:12:29 pm

Hi all. So I have this weird issue that I can't find anyone else talking about online. I'm working in After Effects CS5.5, and turning on 3D for any layer is creating a couple of weird problems. First of all, when I make a layer 3D now, all other non-3D layers immediately become invisible, and won't reappear unless they are turned to 3D as well. Secondly, when I make a layer 3D, I can move it in X and Y space, and rotate it in all 3 dimensions, but when I drag the z coordinates around for the position, it does nothing. No forward or backwards motion. These are super-basic layers too, just jpegs and basic text, nothing crazy like nested 3D vector objects or anything, and I have never experienced this problem before.

Comp Specs:
MAC OSX v10.7
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: z-space position not working in 3D, also 3D obscuring all other non-3D layers
on Aug 8, 2011 at 8:15:30 pm

Is your Composition view set to "Front"? Check your "View > Switch 3D View" menu, or just hit F12 to switch to the Active Camera and see if that fixes it.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kyle Romaneck
Re: z-space position not working in 3D, also 3D obscuring all other non-3D layers
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:33:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Darby and Ted. It was in fact the view being set to "Front." One more confusing little AE frustration gone forever.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:04:15 pm

Besides what Darby suggested, check to see if you have any Layer Styles imported from PSD (that tends to mess up the 3d space in AE) and also that you do not mix 3d layers with 2d, as 2d layers break the 3d space if they are located between 3d layers.
Just a question to be sure- you have a camera in that comp?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]