ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gradient ramp with moving text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Oakley
Gradient ramp with moving text
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:55:22 am

First post here suprisingly, so Hi.

This is something that has always bugged me but now it has become a real pain. I am trying to apply a ramp effect to animated text (just transformations), but when the text moves the ramp does not follow it; the text just acts like a matte over a static background.

Is there a way to set the ramp start/end points relative to the layer rather than an absolute position? (I suck with expressions) I know you could get around it by creating a solid with the ramp effect applied, add a matte for the text and parent that to the text layer, but that's more effort.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Chris Oakley - Digital Media Technician & Visual Effects Compositor
http://www.chrisoakley.net
@chrisoakleyfx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Gradient ramp with moving text
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:51:23 pm

It sounds like all you need to do is to parent a solid (to which you apply the Ramp effect) to the text layer (which is used as a trace matte for the solid). When you move the text layer, the ramp goes with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Oops.
on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:06:03 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "...parent a solid (to which you apply the Ramp effect) to the text layer (which is used as a trace matte for the solid)..."

Um, that should read TRACK matte and not "trace matte".
One of these days, I'll learn how to type.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:56:49 pm

Chris,

Dave's technique is spot on. Another way to do it would be to pre-comp the text and apply the ramp to the text layer inside that pre-comp.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Tharp
Art Director
Point7West
http://point7west.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:07:31 pm

But it won't work if the text characters are animated using Text Animator Properties. This is a shortcoming of AE having to continuously rasterize text as a default.

Expressions may be the only solution in such cases but I'm certain that even Expressions will have its shortcomings in such cases.

The best solution is for AE to use Text Animator groups as an effect instead of being locked down with a text layer. As an effect, one could apply a texture or gradient onto a text layer and then followup with a Text Animator effect and achieve exactly what you want.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Chris Oakley
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:14:49 am

OK thanks for the advice guys.

Chris Oakley - Digital Media Technician & Visual Effects Compositor
http://www.chrisoakley.net
@chrisoakleyfx

Return to posts index

charlie davies
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:56:45 am

An easier way to get it to move and stay with the text is to apply a Gradient Overlay in the layer styles, directly in the text layer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]