ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil SicktermanHow do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry
by on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:51:36 pm

Trying to test render a composition to video (before I spend too much time on the composition and realize I should have set the comp settings differently. I've tried all kinds of variations with formats/codecs, but am getting poor results. I could use advise on the right settings/format/codecs to use to get a clear/smooth video product. The project is a 2d animation (24 fps) and I want to export to video with 16:9 proportions, HD (if possible, if not then at least broadcast/dvd quality).

From what I understand, quicktime and wmvs are for streaming video and h264 and mpeg2 are more for broadcast/dvd.

My current Composition Settings are:

1080hdtv24

1080 px by 1920 px (16:9)

pixel aspect ratio 16:9 Square pixels (1:1)

(see image below)

Tried exporting to quicktime...got clear resolution, jerky motion (not jitter, but big jerks). (see image below)

Tried exporting to h264 and mpeg2, mpeg4 and got smooth motion but got horrible pixelated, buzzing(dubbed vhs looking) images. (see image and close-up image below)

I also did a 3:2 pulldown with lower/even field dominance, 16bpc color.

So again, I want to know:

• proper settings/formats/codec to render to dvd/broadcast video 16:9(HD if possible) with sharp images.

• Would also like to know the settings to render a high quality streaming video with smooth motion.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry
    by on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:30:08 am

The QuickTime you rendered and is "clear" but jerky, is probably an Animation codec, uncompressed. It is normal for most machines not to be able to play that real time. You can use that file to compress it in Encoder (Adobe Media Encoder). That is the recommended workflow from many professionals - render uncompressed from AE and use Encoder to compress. When in a time crunch, you can also open the AE project in Encoder, choose the comp you want rendered and render the compressed format straight from Encoder. For web you can use .f4v or .flv containers and one of the presets. For H264 compression, I had best results with keyframing every frame. Encoder will give you a bunch of presets for BlueRay encoding (H264) and SD (widescreen) DVD encoding (MPEG2).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
    Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Neil SicktermanRe: How do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry
    by on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:42:18 pm

Wow. I can't wait to try out what you described after work today. Luckily I have the whole adobe production suite 5.5, so I believe I have adobe encoder. Thanks so much...I had been experimenting and googling every evening this past week and my trouble-shooting research turned up nothing about that program, but that makes a lot of sense.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry
    by on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:11:51 pm

Here's a page that mentions the issue. [link] There may be others at that site that will help you in the future as well.

- The Great Szalam
    (The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Neil SicktermanRe: How do I render my 16:9 hi res animation comp to video (dvd format)? My render results are pixelated/blurry
    by on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:42:09 am

Michael,

That link helped and the subsiquent links on that page spoke to a bunch of topics I wanted clarification on. Thanks a million. Hopefully I won't have to work late tommorow and can apply what I learned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]