ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to default open .AEP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle SowdenHow to default open .AEP
by on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:46:23 pm

I have a few projects on my descktop (.AEP) and I'd like to just be able to double click them and have Adobe After Effects CS5.5 open it, but I can't seem to choose After Effects as the default program to open it.

Any help?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: How to default open .AEP
by on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:17:39 pm

Sounds like you're on a Mac ... I could never get this supposedly basic OS function to work right either ... we should be able to just go into Get Info, select the program of choice, select "change all" and done, but I've tried it many times with many different files and it just doesn't want to work. I nor our Mac tech have been able to get it to work right or consistently so, if you do, please post the solution. My guess is it probably has something to do with having multiple versions of a program installed.

If you're on a PC, it's basically the same method, although the files should open with the right program by default unless you've changed it ... just right click, go to "open with" and check the "always" box.

Return to posts index

Kyle SowdenRe: How to default open .AEP
by on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:21:09 pm

No, i'm on a PC. I right click, select 'choose default program' then search through my files for Adobe After Effects CS5.5 and click okay, but then as soon as I do it just changed to whatever program is first on the default list of "other programs"

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:30:01 pm

Hmmm. I've had situations in the past where installing some third-party plugin caused it to take over certain AE extensions and claim them as its own ... to fix that I had to go into Explorer's "folder options" under the File Types tab and change it back there. In some cases, I had to go so far as to delete the extension from the "Registered File Type" list, then re-add it ... that worked though.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:54:21 pm

Thanks, i'll try that now! If you could tell me where the "Explorer's" folder is? D:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2011 at 7:38:25 pm

In any Explorer window, go to the Tools dropdown menu and choose Folder Options ... that's on XP and prior O/S ... don't have access to a Win7 machine at the moment to check if it's in the same place.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2011 at 8:18:20 pm

Sorry for being a nub, but I don't know what you mean by "explorer's window" ? Do you mean the box that appears when I go on 'My Computer' or something?

And i'm on Win7

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2011 at 8:29:52 pm

Windows Explorer windows are the ones you use to navigate through the various drives and folders on your computer ... to open one, press the Windows and E keys on your keyboard.

Return to posts index

John NashRe: How to default open .AEP
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 3:29:11 pm

Scenario

On a Windows 7 PC you have recently installed Adobe CS5.5 while keeping your Adobe CS5 installation. You wish to customise the (.prproj) association for Adobe Premiere Pro Project file extensions or the (.aep) association for Adobe After Effects Project file extensions. This customisation ability is not provided by Adobe Bridge CS5 or CS5.1 file type association preferences.

Resolution

Depending on your customisation choice, you will have to copy the code of your option from below, paste it into notepad and save it with a .reg extension, then double-click the file to merge it into your Windows registry. Alternatively, download the zip file in the attachment to this post, to find your customisation choice among the included registry files, and double-click the registry file which matches your custom choice for association.

a) Adobe Premiere Pro Project file association options

Option 1a
Double-clicking a .prproj file will open the project by default in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]
@="Adobe Premiere Project"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]
@="Open with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\shell\open]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

Option 2a
Double-clicking a .prproj file will open the project by default in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5"

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

@=""

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

Option 3a
Double-clicking a .prproj file will open the project by default in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 while right-clicking the .prproj file will open the Windows shell menu with both options for opening the project file with APP CS5.5 and APP CS5, under the "Open with..." entry.

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5"

@=""

Option 4a
Double-clicking a .prproj file will open the project by default in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 while right-clicking the .prproj file will open the Windows shell menu with both options for opening the project file with APP CS5 and APP CS5.5, under the "Open with..." entry.

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5"

@=""

b) Adobe After Effects Project file association options

Option 1b
Double-clicking a .aep file will open the project by default in Adobe After Effects CS5.5

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100]
@="Adobe After Effects Project"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\",1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100\shell\open]
@="Open with Adobe After Effects CS5.5"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.AfterEffects.Project.100\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\" \"%1\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\AfterFX.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\AfterFX.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\AfterFX.exe\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\AfterFX.exe\shell\open]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\AfterFX.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\" \"%1\""

Option 2b
Double-clicking a .aep file will open the project by default in Adobe After Effects CS5

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe After Effects CS5"

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\" \"%1\""

@=""

@=""

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\" \"%1\""

Option 3b
Double-clicking a .aep file will open the project by default in Adobe After Effects CS5.5 while right-clicking the .aep file will open the Windows shell menu with both options for opening the project file with AAE CS5.5 and AAE CS5, under the "Open with..." entry.

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe After Effects CS5.5"

@=""

@=""

Option 4b
Double-clicking a .aep file will open the project by default in Adobe After Effects CS5 while right-clicking the .aep file will open the Windows shell menu with both options for opening the project file with AAE CS5 and AAE CS5.5, under the "Open with..." entry.

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS5\\Support Files\\AfterFX.exe\",1"

@=""

@="Open with Adobe After Effects CS5"

@=""

@=""

Notes

• To successfully merge .reg files with the Windows registry, you might well need to be logged in with a username having either privileged or Administrator rights for your PC. Also if UAC is enabled in Windows, you will be prompted to grant access for merging .reg files with the Windows registry.

• All registry codes provided have been carefully verified and tested to be correct. However due to the fact that the nature of each particular scenario is different, there is no guarantee that the posted resolution will achieve the intended result for all individual scenarios. Examples of which can influence your result are the order in which the Adobe CS versions were installed or uninstalled, the user privileges under which you execute the resolution or whether the resolution was executed under the same username by which the Adobe CS will be eventually utilised.

• Even though the posted resolution has not been verified and tested under Windows Vista, it might very likely function correctly under Windows Vista. Likelihood for success is much less under Windows XP 64-bit.

• Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]