ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sickengly Slow Startup of CS5.5 (and CS5 before that)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi
Sickengly Slow Startup of CS5.5 (and CS5 before that)
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:46:23 pm

It began here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1002746
I bumped it here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1003051

And I'm here again asking for some help.
Nothing changed. I've not the slighest Idea of what can I do and I actually think I really have some messed up things in here, Especially Adobe's (for example, in mediacore I have both CS5 and 5.5 plugins even if I uninstalled the CS5, and on "All programs" I have Adobe stuff as well as in the "CS5.5 Master Collection" tree).

I've already had bad moments in these days, I had to uninstall the "not very affordable" Monster Plugins because A.E. absolutely isn't able to load them (with 48:46 error); and I'm posting this if anyone has some hint, but..

The bigger problem is indeed the extreme slugginess of the Workstation I'm working with, a HP Elitebook 8740w. I've updated the BIOS to the latest F.0B and same goes for the VBios.

I'm pretty sure this is a confusioned post, but I'll leave this here and I'll be here to answer any of your question, any kind of help will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Sickengly Slow Startup of CS5.5 (and CS5 before that)
on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:55:34 am

Do you also have Premiere Pro on your machine? What happens if you start that?

Have you tried removing all the plugins from your MediaCore folder?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Aug 4, 2011 at 10:14:19 am

Thanks for the support, I've done both of the Tests and these are the results:

I tried a Premiere Pro CS5.5 trial (I use Avid Media Composer for Video Editing) and.. In the startup mediacore even didn't appear. It began loading and scanning in it's folders but "Mediacore" never came up. It was not a thunder but anyway it opened away as a Normal heavy program.

Then, I've gone to the Common/mediacore folder in the Adobe tree and I've deleted the Plugins, I indeed thought that was a great advice! But.. Nothing changed. When I started A.E., the startup window has been blank (fully loaded of course, but with Nothing going on written) and after 2 minutes (!) "Loading Mediacore" appeared, it took another minute, a "better time" indeed, but then scanning folders was actually slow as always.

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 4, 2011 at 1:58:53 pm

There are additional plugins installed within the application folder itself (Program FilesAdobe After Effects CS5.5Plug-ins). Try removing third-party effects from this location, too.

You can dump them in a folder on your Desktop instead of deleting them entirely.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:01:11 am

I've tried both of the tips I had.. Having some differences since before. Moving all the Plugs from the folder make Mediacore indeed faster, but losing all of my important tools, while killing the Quicktime process helps but really a little.

What does NOT change is the extreme amount of time that A.E. takes even BEFORE initializing the engine and mediacore. *mumble*

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Return to posts index

Mato Kokotic
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:51:39 am

Try to kill Quicktime32 processes from Task Manager when program gets to "Media Core" phase.

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:47:50 pm

What's the purpose of that process? I'm still trying to speed up my machine but there must me something that blocks mediacore, because even with the "Common" folder completely wiped and the Plugins folder almost free it still take ages to go on. My Plugin folder now has the "Effect" folder, Sapphire's, Trapcode's and not much more stuff in it. *mumble*

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 15, 2011 at 9:24:34 pm

Hi Michelle,

Have you tried contacting Adobe support? They may be able to help.

You might try turning off any security software or firewalls you have on your system. 64-bit AE communicates with 32-bit QuickTime via a client/server system that relies on your computer's network stack.

Failing that, the behavior you're seeing certainly isn't normal. I know it's time-consuming, but I'd consider re-installing AE or even rebuilding the system (and then imaging the good, functional install before beginning project work).

Good luck -- and please post back if you find a solution!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:13:41 am

Thanks. :]

Well, being now here, at the point to maybe have to wipe and re-build the system.. Do you, or anyone else, have any advice about this? I have a Workstation so Stability and performance are really important, and I don't want to Format for then mess things up. Once I heard I actually have to manually install Chipset's drivers! *gulp*

Oh, and being probably a problem of english not being my native language, what do you mean with "(and then imaging the good, functional install before beginning project work).". :°

I have a Premium bought Antivirus of VIPRE, I'll do some tries but I don't think that's the problem, sadly I often worked with that off as.. Actually it's hard for me to find a place with a good internet access.

Thanks for everything, as always.

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:21:21 pm

..Woh.

Found it.

It WAS the Antivirus. Stopping it from the beginning of the startup, avoiding it to start actually Lighted A.E. speed on opening itself.

It became almost a thunder (comparing it to before), I saw a strange issue with Mediacore that actually made think A.E. that my effects were duplicates, but since I'm pretty sure I won't have much use of Mediacore I just deleted them from there. I still have some issues and you guys will be of extreme help to me in the near future (I already opened a thread here about something I'm trying to achieve) but your last advice is been gold. :]

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]