ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating webcam effect with frame rates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
Creating webcam effect with frame rates
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:09:28 pm

I have a piece of footage shot at 23.976 fps that I need to comp into another 23.976 fps shot of a TV screen. The footage that's going in the screen is supposed to look like it's from a webcam, and I want to lower the frame rate to about 15fps to make it a little jittery as part of the webcam look, but still render the final shot out to 23.976 fps.

I tried nesting the webcam footage in its own comp, with a comp frame rate of 15, but when I play back the final shot at 23.976, the webcam shot loses that jittery quality.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating webcam effect with frame rates
on Aug 2, 2011 at 9:18:50 pm

[Adhish Yajnik] "Any ideas?"

Yup: AE's Posterize Time Effect. You can set it to a lower frame rate. It looks a bit like stop-motion animation. Play with it on your 23.976 footage in in a 23.976 comp and see what looks best to you.

I'd guess that 23.976/2 (11.988) would be best, if the effect will let you enter that decimal. If not, try 12 fps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:54:09 am

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Patrick Schmids
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:39:44 pm

This is a really easy effect to achieve. Just go to your effect panel and search for an effect called "Posterize time". It does not effect the frame rate your project frame rate, all you have to do is adjust your desired frame rate in the effect controls. I used this effect a few times to make my footage look like it was from an old film camera. The results were great!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:03:57 pm

Bonus webcam grunge effects: consider desaturating a little with the Hue/Saturation effect [link], oversharpening with Sharpen [link] or Unsharp Mask [link], and occasionally macroblocking a bit by layering on some Mosaic [link] (optionally limited by a track matte [link]).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Patrick Smith
on Aug 3, 2011 at 11:45:04 pm

This is a really easy effect to achieve. Just go to your effect panel and search for an effect called "Posterize time". It does not effect the frame rate at all. You just

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:56:29 am

The Posterize Time effect does work for this, but here's a tip for a higher-performance way of doing it:

Nest the composition in a composition with a lower frame rate.

Why?

The method with Posterize Time still calculates every frame and then throws several away. The method with with nesting just calculates the necessary frames.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 4, 2011 at 2:26:51 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "The Posterize Time effect does work for this, but here's a tip for a higher-performance way of doing it: Nest the composition in a composition with a lower frame rate."

To use this method, I think you must also enable Composition > Composition Settings > Advanced > Preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue in the comp with the lower frame rate.

If that option is not checked, the precomp will inherit the frame rate from the containing comp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]