ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe After Effects CS5 Mac, Non-profit $65 offer question...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen UnderwoodAdobe After Effects CS5 Mac, Non-profit $65 offer question...
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:06:49 am

I have FCP7, dealing with the FCP "X" future factor... I also have CS5 suite containing most other apps, but not this one... My non-profit was offered Adobe After Effects CS5 Mac (boxed) for $65. Grab it? I've never used After Effects but stabilization, depth-of-field possibilities intrigue... Thoughts from users? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: Adobe After Effects CS5 Mac, Non-profit $65 offer question...
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:19:24 am

Is that offer directly from Adobe? If so, do you have a link? Also, does Adobe have NGO pricing for the Production or Master Suite?

Yes, it's definitely worth the $, but you'll need to invest the time as well to learn the workflow. Things like cropping an image are handled differently than FCP or Photoshop, as is nesting (which is pre-composing in AE), there's no grouping like in Photoshop--you have to precomp, but then you have to make sure that the pre-comps have a high enough resolution to not get cropped. Hmm, I just realized that you could use pre-comping as an alternative method for cropping, but it's not preferred since you'd lose a lot of control. Anyhow, it definitely requires some time and effort to learn, but it's well worth it.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Adobe After Effects CS5 Mac, Non-profit $65 offer question...
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:48:38 pm

yep, it's well worth the $65, and you should invest in at least some beginner training... either a book/dvd (like the meyer's) or online tutorials (like lynda.com).

i've never seen adobe offer previous versions of their software (the current is cs5.5), so i assume that it is a third party... if you feel it is a reputable 3rd-party, and your not getting a bogus pirated version then it's a great deal.

if it's a used version, just inquire about whether the previously installed version had been 'deactivated' and removed from the original computer. it's very easy for the previous user to deactivate the software prior to uninstalling (from after effects choose help>deactivate), but if it has been uninstalled prior to deactivation, there will need to be a call to adobe before you can activate it when you install it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Stephen UnderwoodRe: Adobe After Effects CS5 Mac, Non-profit $65 offer question...
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:03:33 pm

Thanks for the input... "Techsoup.org" is a huge software donater /discounter organization for non-profits that I bought my CS5 Suite from last year. ($160). I guess I'll grab one if there are some left. I'm a big fan of Lynda.com so I'll check out the tutorials for After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]