ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Add 3d text with Cameratracker & Invigorator?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzie
Add 3d text with Cameratracker & Invigorator?
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:55:34 pm

Hi everyone...
A client wants me to add extruded text to a scene shot in a warehouse with some jib moves. I haven't done anything exactly like this before and I'm researching my options. I've been reading about the Foundry's plugin called Cameratracker and I'm wondering if picking up that and using it in conjunction with 3D Invigorator is a good way to pull this off. I'm open to any suggestions for how to do this, but limited to AE and available plugins, as I have no 3d chops.

Thanks!

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

System:
Mac/Leopard
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Add 3d text with Cameratracker & Invigorator?
on Aug 1, 2011 at 9:09:18 pm

CAMERATRACKER with 3D Invigorator Pro should do the trick.

3D Extruder [link] is a new option for creating 3D text (using stacks of controlled 2.5 layers). It may replace Invigorator in your workflow, depending on your needs.

In either case, trying to match the warehouse lighting to light the text will be key to selling the shot.

You may need to do a little rotoscoping if you need the text to be obscured by objects in the warehouse.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike MacKenzie
on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:24:27 am

Much appreciated, thanks!

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

System:
Mac/Leopard
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:32:16 am

The following tutorial from The Foundry shows you how to use CamTracker with effects in AE that contain a 'comp camera' property - http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/training/#class10

In the said video tutorial, they've used Shatter. However, do take note that their use of a Custom Shatter Map is incorrect. Look at Andrew Devis' COW Tutorial for the correct implementation.

With Invigorator, you can either use it with a layer tracker (Invigorator feature) or as a comp camera effect.

There are other 3D Text options in AE and you can find a few here - http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeaftereffects/3d-text

Camera Tracker isn't as easy as you think should you have a difficult footage to track. There are often occasions where you will want to tweak properties to have tracks at the desired location as well as to how to refine the camera solves.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]