ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a prize wheel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris GarmanCreating a prize wheel
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 7:23:18 pm

I want to animate a wheel that basically looks like a wheel of fortune wheel. I've animated my wheel spin and used the graph editor to get a pretty good spin.

Now I'm struggling with the little "clicker" piece that stops the wheel (sorry don't know what to call it). I've actually used keyframes to "hand animate" it, and just have it move back and forth when it gets really fast... and used a blur to cover up the fact that it's not actually sync'ed with the spinning. It doesn't look bad, but I need to create something like 20 videos with it landing on different things, so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this using and expression or slider control?

I didn't know if there's some way to animate the "clicker" moving back and forth within a comp, and then go out and use a slider to control the speed (and eventually come to a stop)?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:07:03 am

For the versioning, I would look at creating a Null and parenting all the required layers to this Null. Ensure that the Null is first strategically position for its task. Then by simply using the Null to rotate everything else, you will have a different start point and hence, a different end point. Take note that you don't need to keyframe this Null. You just need to change its property so that you have a different start point. The original rotation keyframes or whichever way you've gone to animate the wheel should be left, as is.

Hopefully this will preclude you having to mess about with the clicks and should you need to, then not all the 20 versions will require messing with.

SHould you still insist on working with the clicks, then visit the COWs AE Expressions forum with your Q.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:02:31 am

[Chris Garman] "Now I'm struggling with the little "clicker" piece that stops the wheel (sorry don't know what to call it). I've actually used keyframes to "hand animate" it, and just have it move back and forth when it gets really fast... and used a blur to cover up the fact that it's not actually sync'ed with the spinning. It doesn't look bad, but I need to create something like 20 videos with it landing on different things, so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this using and expression or slider control?"

Chris, I have done your homework for you.

I started writing a post describing how to do it, but realized it would actually be a lot easier just to share the project.

The basic idea is to control the rotation of a clicker layer based on the rotation of the wheel layer. As you change the rotation of the wheel layer, the clicker will automatically adjust.

Attached here is a project file for an expressions-controlled clicker that follows the rotation of the prize wheel. You do need to specify (on the Effects Controls tab for the Clicker layer) how many sectors (pie slices) are in the prize wheel and what layer to follow for rotation. There are also options to control the minimum and maximum rotation for the clicker, whether or not to reverse direction, and "snap back" -- a percentage indicated how far through the travel of a sector the clicker should begin moving back to its resting position.

The two main tricks in the expression are the modulus operator (%, or integer division remainder, which lets us do "clock arithmetic") and the linear function, which smoothly correlates one set of values to another (in our case, the rotation through one of the sectors to the rotation of the clicker).

Download the 2720_prizewheel.aep.zip project file.

Prize Wheel

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:11:59 am

Great Stuff Walter! You should send Chris an invoice for a six-pack! :D

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:33:55 am

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "Great Stuff Walter! You should send Chris an invoice for a six-pack! :D"

Thank you, Roland. I am happy to help, and I'd also be happy to explain the expressions here in further detail if necessary.

Of course, I'm pretty easy to find if anyone is inclined to support both me and their local microbrewery, but a simple "thank you" would certainly be enough. Cheers!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris GarmanRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:11:03 pm

Wow Walter, thanks! I just opened the file and my head is spinning a little bit, but I'm going to dig into it now and see if I can understand it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04:46 pm

[Chris Garman] "Wow Walter, thanks! I just opened the file and my head is spinning a little bit, but I'm going to dig into it now and see if I can understand it."

You're welcome.

If you have any questions when you go through it, please ask away -- I posted this project to teach.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:18:25 pm

I've only used the % method sparingly. I think I should be able to line up the Expression once I take a look at the AEP. Perhaps a short tutorial may be nice for the COW? :-)

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:01:10 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "I've only used the % method sparingly."

The modulo operator makes cycling animations very easy because it always wraps around. It's sometimes called clock arithmetic -- consider how a clock cycles relative to the passage of absolute time.

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "Perhaps a short tutorial may be nice for the COW? :-)"

That's a great idea. I came here to help with Chris's homework, and now you've given me some homework of my own. I'll put it on my calendar for the week after next.

Cheers.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Matthew GrovesRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:32:13 pm

Any chance someone can save that project as something CS4 compatible?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Sep 26, 2014 at 4:41:22 pm

If nobody is able to (you can't simply save back to CS4 like you can to CS5 or later versions), you could try this: Open Sesame [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Rosa HughesRe: Creating a prize wheel
by on Mar 31, 2015 at 12:44:15 am

This is so helpful, thank you so much for this :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]