ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Render query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Smyth
AE Render query
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:29:12 pm

Hello,

I am creating a 2min animation consisting of 2d layers in 3d space. Render times are an issue as it will be a really quick turnaround. It isn't complex by any means so I was wondering which would render quicker: DOF applied to the camera, or manually keyframing gaussian blur to the layers in the comp as the camera moves. As the time spent keyframing blur might save time in the long run...

Any ideas?

Cheers, George

Return to posts index

Steve Tharp
Re: AE Render query
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:32:04 pm

George,

The performance difference between DOF and a gaussian blur can be pretty substantial, and completely depends on your systems' specs. If you're really concerned about render times I would suggest using Fast Blur instead of the gaussian blur plugin.

Thanks,

Steve Tharp
Art Director
Point7West
http://point7west.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 1, 2011 at 6:32:25 pm

The new Camera Lens Blur effect and depth-of-field features in After Effects CS5.5 are faster than the equivalent features in After Effects CS5.

I wouldn't fake it with a manually applied Gaussian blur. I'd use the depth-of-field properties or the Camera Lens Blur effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:37:41 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "I wouldn't fake it with a manually applied Gaussian blur. I'd use the depth-of-field properties or the Camera Lens Blur effect."

I agree. Defocus blur is really different from Gaussian blur -- the blur takes on the shape of the camera's iris, and highlights bloom. CS5.5's new DoF blur is really nice, and it'll give a much more realistic DoF effect than a Gaussian blur.

[George Smyth] "Render times are an issue as it will be a really quick turnaround."

If short turnaround is a big concern, check out all the tips on the Improve performance [link] page.

If you can fix some of the elements up front and change only a few elements later, you might really benefit from pre-rendering [link] or proxies [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

George Smyth
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:54:51 pm

Hi Walter,

Thank you for the links. I knew most of it, but always good to brush up.
I am using a camera on a vector animation (and I dont have cs5.5) so think I'll go for the Fast Blur or the Camera Lens BLur effect.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

George Smyth
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:51:48 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your help. I will look up the Lens Blur effect, as I dont have cs5.5. I'll use either this or the Fast Blur. It's for a vector animation.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

George Smyth
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:50:12 pm

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. So Fast blur is ahem, faster in terms of rendering than Gaussian? Thanks for this tip, I'm always using Gaussian.

I'm using a 15inch macbook pro with 4gb RAM. Cant remember the processor speed but itll be the Core 2 Duo (I'm not at my a work machine now).

Other replies have mentioned using Cs5.5 which I don't have. So think this is the way to go.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]