ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Advanced Masking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meghan SpurAdvanced Masking?
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 12:36:20 pm

Can anyone give me some tips on a bit of masking? I have an image of an large splotch of ink and am trying to use an expanding ink .mov to reveal this image in a natural way, but can't figure out how to make it work with blending layers. Aside from drawing and animating a really complicated mask, what can I do?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Advanced Masking?
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 4:42:06 pm

Use the movie that you have of the expanding ink as a track matte for the layer that you want to reveal.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Meghan SpurRe: Advanced Masking?
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:06:06 am

Thanks Todd.

I'm having a slight problem with the track matte that I can't find any discussion of. I've used the track matte to reveal an ink splodge but it only reveals the layer in black or white (the layer I want to reveal is pink). I've tried using colorize, all the different blend modes, and a few color effects but none seem to make a difference. Neither does switching between the different track matte options.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Advanced Masking?
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:33:06 am

Using a track matte doesn't change the color of the matted image so it sounds like you may be applying that matte wrong and, thus, seeing another layer above or below (the black or white you mentioned).

Perhaps try it in a precomp with only the two layers (the image layer you want to matte and the shape layer you want to use as the matte). Then, try the different matte modes on each layer to see the different effects. You will need to change the layer order for some and also notice that the matte layer gets turned off when you apply the matte so you may need to turn it back on when switching things around. Or, just read the info on track mattes that Todd provided, pick the method that does what you want and forget about the rest for now.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Meghan SpurRe: Advanced Masking?
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:41:42 pm

Thanks. It seems I had the layers in the wrong order and the wrong type of matte as well. Cheers for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved