ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Irremovable Interlace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James MurphyIrremovable Interlace
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 3:49:29 pm

I ripped some footage that was shot by my company before I arrived from a DVD. It looks like the footage was shot at 24p, but on the DVD itself, there's a really bad interlace problem on occasion. After ripping it, I attempted to remove the interlace in After Effects using various tools (including Interpreting the Footage different ways with different tools, and also separately using Magic Bullet Looks), but nothing seems to do the trick.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Irremovable Interlace
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 3:57:24 pm

You need to learn the origins of this DVD, and details of how it was shot, edited and encoded to DVD. Knowing frame rates at every step of the process -- especially pulldown removal, editing 24p in a 29.97 timeline, editing 29.97 in a 24p timeline -- are crucial.

It sounds like someone did a very poor job of working with frame rates during this DVD project, and you may simply be stuck with what you have.

If footage is shot at 24 pN, it's at 23.976 actual frames per second. When placed into a 29.97 timeline, the frame cadence will turn out as 2:2:2:4 instead of 3:2:3:2. Cound this be what you're seeing?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Irremovable Interlace
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:23:32 pm

May sound obvious, but did you rip it in a way that would preserve the interlacing? If you just ripped to, say, animation codec, the interlacing would be baked into the file instead of being preserved for de-interlacing.

Your best bet may be to just copy the MPEG2 file off of the DVD instead of ripping it. You will avoid additional quality loss, and should preserve the existing interlacing in the process - assuming the original author did things correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved