ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is it possible to create a Proxy for only a portion of a clip?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Is it possible to create a Proxy for only a portion of a clip?
on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:48:47 pm

I'm working on a shot that has several layers, FG and BG plates that were shot at 4.5 on the RED and the shots were copy/pasted over from Premiere Pro CS5.5 I'm working on the shots in After Effects CS5.5. Because it was copied from Premiere, I've got the entire shot, but the necessary portion is has been trimmed and Precomped.

Since the footage is 4.5K scaled down, it's pretty slow to work with so I wanted to render out a JPEG sequence proxy just to use for building up the composite, but since the entire shot is being referenced, when I go to make the Proxy from the trimmed Precomp, it wants to make a Proxy for the entire long shot, even though I'm only using a much smaller portion of it in the actual shot. Is there any way to make a Proxy that is only the duration used in my Precomp, but still maintain sync?

I attempted to change the "Start" and "End" frame numbers to the duration of my trimmed shot in the Render Settings of the Proxy in the Render Queue, but obviously it gives me a warning saying that this will cause the Proxy to be out of sync. Is there another method to go about creating a trimmed proxy?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Is it possible to create a Proxy for only a portion of a clip?
on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:57:19 pm

Or if there was just a way to offset the start frame of a Proxy that was rendered out, then it would be possible to render out just the needed portion of a clip, and have the Proxy's start frame be changed to the start frame of the Trimmed comp.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:34:38 am

To make a short story long: a proxy acts exactly like its higher rez version and this includes the in and out points. This allows you to WORK with proxies in a more productive manner instead of the larger original file.

It sounds like your workflow, coming from PremPro, may be messing with your wishes with what AE's proxy feature does or should be doing. AE's proxy feature works well for AE's needs. Your needs are influenced by PremPro.

So, the short answer is "NO". :-)

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 28, 2011 at 5:45:20 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding the situation properly, but is there a reason you couldn't just add the footage to a comp, trim that comp to the needed section, render it out low-rez, use that low-rez render to work on, then use the comp the low-rez was rendered from to replace the low-rez render in the master comp before the final render?

Return to posts index

Daniel Christie
on Jul 28, 2011 at 12:12:37 pm

As a work around for what you want to do, you could Precomp the video layer and then render and set a proxy for the precomp, not the video clip.

Daniel

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:02:21 pm

The problem with just doing a straight precomp was that I had already built up a complex composition that used the footage, which is why I decided I needed to create a proxy, because the comp was getting to dense to work with. Since I had already used the footage a bunch of times, in comps within comps, I needed a way for the timing to stay the same within the "Trimmed Comp" that Premiere gives you when you do a copy/paste from Premiere.

Doing a Precompose "Leave All Attributes" doesn't actually trim the comp, it leaves it the same length, so that's the same as not precomposing at all for these purposes. Precompose "Move All Attributes" does trim the comp, but also offsets that comp in time when doing so, which ruined the timing of all my comps.

The method that I stumbled upon yesterday was Precomposing using Andrew Kramer's "Trim Compose" script, which will create a trimmed comp, the same as doing a "Move All Attributes" but it will not shift the comp in time -- it will leaves it's timing intact.

Was just wondering if there was an easier way that was as simple as "Create Proxy from frames ### to ###" or something like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]