ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Old Macbook Pro vs new Macbook Air

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico JonesOld Macbook Pro vs new Macbook Air
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:20:58 pm

Hello all,

I currently have an old Macbook Pro, which I barely use any more for AE work. I'm thinking of getting one of those new MAcbook Airs, because portability is a bigger factor than power for at the moment.

However I'd still like to be able to do a spot of AE work on the Air if I get one. So my question to the tech-gurus is: my existing Macbook is a 2.4 GHz Core Duo. How would a new Macbook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 stack up against that performance-wise? 4GB of RAM in both.

I know 2.4 GHz is more than 1.7GHz, but I wasn't sure if that was an accurate reflection of performance any more. And i presume the SSD will make things a little nippier anyway.

Thanks!

Nico

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Old Macbook Pro vs new Macbook Air
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:51:39 pm

[Nico Jones] "I'm thinking of getting one of those new MAcbook Airs, because portability is a bigger factor than power for at the moment."

I notice there's a significant factor missing from that statement: speed. How important are fast renders? A measly 4GB won't allow you to use multiprocessing, and you won't get a very big boost in processor speed.

4 Gigs also fills up VERY fast when working with HD, 2K and 4K files. The lack of RAM may limit your ability to get work done.

If speed isn't as important a factor as portability in your work, and you don't undertake projects with high-resolution files, a MacBook Air may be just the thing for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nico JonesRe: Old Macbook Pro vs new Macbook Air
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 5:34:37 pm

Ah yes of course. Thanks for the reply. Render speed isn't a dealbreaker really. I'd primarily use it for prep work or personal stuff, not hardcore HD epics. My MB Pro as it is isn't great for rendering.

I suppose I was just looking for a general point of view as to the suitabilty of the new Airs for AE work. If they can handle moderate projects but take an age to render, I could probably live with that.

I know the early Airs were barely able to do anything; just wanted to see if the speed increases since then have made much of a difference...

Nico J BB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]