ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 Footage turned invisible/not showing in composition preview!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn L Smith
After Effects CS5 Footage turned invisible/not showing in composition preview!!
on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:21:05 pm

Hi all,

I have been creating a special effects shootout video, using many different videos layered on-top of each other. Once composition I have is a grenade explosion. In this i have the background video of the actor diving, and then layered on top i have a keyed out explosion, then smoke effects, camera shake etc.

I had finished this and all was well until on a new composition in the same project, and I had a look back at the grenade composition. I was surprised to find that all my hard work was not showing up!

All the layers are all still there, the footage is all working in layer view, but yet when i watch it in the composition they do not show up! I can't understand what has happened.

Heres a few things to note;
- I have not got the visibility turned off
- The layered explosions and smoke are all .mov
- It was working at one point not too long ago
- I have many compositions in the same project
- All the other effects in other compositions have not turned invisible
- If i double click the layer and look at them in the layer window they are playing perfectly and are still there

This took me a long time as I am just learning, please help as I don't want to have to do it again!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CS5 Footage turned invisible/not showing in composition preview!!
on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:44:49 pm

Have you accidentally set the explosion as a guide layer [link]?

If not, there are several other possible explanations, and a couple screen shots showing the precomp with the explosion and the UI as well as the main comp (with the invisible explosion) and the UI might help us help you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Glenn L Smith
Re: After Effects CS5 Footage turned invisible/not showing in composition preview!!
on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:59:07 pm

I think i have an idea what has caused it. I found the layers but they had been thrown wayy out of the composition window area on their own. Also they were kept in place with by tracking, but it seems that they no longer are.

I have tracked on another composition and it seems that it has overwritten the track on this composition?

Can you only track one composition per project or should it matter when it is done on different compositions but in the same project?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:16:43 pm

You can track as many layers as you wish in AE. However, you can mistakenly APPLY those tracks to an undesired layer, which might be the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Murphy Thelen
on May 27, 2015 at 5:20:09 pm

I had this issue and while I was not able to determine the cause, I did find a workaround.

I created a new Comp, went into my old Comp and selected all layers, copied them, and then pasted them into my new Comp. Everything was then visible and in place.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]