ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issues with dpx files in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike StadnyckyjIssues with dpx files in AE
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:25:19 am

I haven't used dpx files before and I could use some help.

I tried importing a dpx sequence into AE CS4 and got an error stating "the chosen file cannot be read as Cineon FIDO or SMPTE DPX". I thought this was odd so I tried it in AE CS5.5 and had no issues at all. The only problem is all my favoured plugins are installed in CS4 so I prefer using that over CS5.5. Does anybody know why CS4 is giving me this message? No amounts of internet crawling has led to any helpful answers.

My second question is in regard to the bits per channel. What is the proper course of action when dealing with the 10 bpc dpx files in After Effects, which only allows me to work in 8,16 or 32 bits?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Issues with dpx files in AE
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:55:26 pm

[Mike Stadnyckyj] "I tried importing a dpx sequence into AE CS4 and got an error stating "the chosen file cannot be read as Cineon FIDO or SMPTE DPX". I thought this was odd so I tried it in AE CS5.5 and had no issues at all. The only problem is all my favoured plugins are installed in CS4 so I prefer using that over CS5.5. Does anybody know why CS4 is giving me this message?"

Bizarre. I don't know why you're getting that message, but if you can't solve it, I'd suggest you could work around the issue by using CS5.5 to import the DPX sequence and render it out untouched to another format.

[Mike Stadnyckyj] "My second question is in regard to the bits per channel. What is the proper course of action when dealing with the 10 bpc dpx files in After Effects, which only allows me to work in 8,16 or 32 bits?"

Don't work in 8 bpc to avoid truncation. AE will dither down higher bit depths as necessary.

There's a big difference between 16 bpc and 32 bpc (floating point) calculations. Floating point calculations will not clip, so you can have lighter-than-white or darker-than-black results. This particularly affects blurs, glows, and blend modes, but it also more subtly affects the interaction among stacked effects, because you can push and pull the image practically indefinitely.

See Color depth and high dynamic range color [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike StadnyckyjRe: Issues with dpx files in AE
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:58:11 pm

Thank you for the help, that's great. As far as the CS4 issue it is indeed puzzling.

Return to posts index

Mike StadnyckyjRe: Issues with dpx files in AE
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:04:25 pm

I came across another question when exporting my dpx sequence. In the settings box for the output module I have the bpc set to my projects settings but if it's 16 or 32 will it be saving as 10 bit none the less as it's dpx?

Also the output profile takes it's info from my working space, what happens if I have that set to none instead of sRGB or something like HDTV Rec.709. However i'm pretty sure the client is using sRGB, what effect does that have on their end?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Issues with dpx files in AE
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:19:58 pm

[Mike Stadnyckyj] "In the settings box for the output module I have the bpc set to my projects settings but if it's 16 or 32 will it be saving as 10 bit none the less as it's dpx?"

Yes, AE will save out 10-bit DPX files.

[Mike Stadnyckyj] "Also the output profile takes it's info from my working space, what happens if I have that set to none instead of sRGB or something like HDTV Rec.709. However i'm pretty sure the client is using sRGB, what effect does that have on their end?"

You can set a separate output color profile in the Color Management tab of the output module.

DPX is a pretty broad and flexible format. If you have questions on your specific deliverables, you should talk to your client about what they require.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]