ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

after effects render problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Patrickafter effects render problem
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:34:44 pm

I have a 150 second shot I'm trying to render, but never seem to be successful. It's composed in AE at 1920x1080, 24fps. I'm rendering at 23.976 with prores4444 compression at 16bit color in Adobe Media Encoder. There are many layers of nested comps within comps, tons of layers, and a few effects too. The shot rendered fine and relatively quickly before I added the effects, and I've even successfully rendered a closeup of the shot (nested and scaled up with the effects, though the CU took three days to render). When I try to render the full frame shot though, Adobe Media Encoder will sometimes render some of the shot, then crash, and other times just never actually start the render. When I try to render within after effects, it seems to take over seven minutes to render one frame, and again, after a certain period, crashes.

Any ideas what's going on, or what I could do to get this to render out for me? FYI, the effects that I added that seem to have slowed it down so incredibly are desaturation and add noise (which are added separately in about 15 different precomps/layers). The only other thing that has changed is that I used two expressions (basically looping a simple position movement or opacity shift) with each of these instances of the effects. Not exactly what I consider to be processor intensive effects.

thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: after effects render problem
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:38:02 pm

A bit more info about your system (RAM and such) would help.
Think about what you can pre-render. Any precomps that can be rendered out and then replaced? Any effects that can be applied to a render and not to the comp as it is now? This should help. Also, render out of AE as a sequence of stills (tiff, tga, PNG). This way if it crashes again you can start from where it crashed. You can then import the sequence in AE, create a new comp with it and render it out of Encoder at whatever is the final resolution/codec that you need.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: after effects render problem
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:51:23 am

If you're having trouble rendering and exporting a movie, render and export a still-image sequence instead, and then combine that into a movie as a next step. This allows you to resume the render operation where you left off, rather than having to start over each time.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved